New material - ForceField (v2.0)

I finally decided to test out this feature… around 26 days after this post was made and this feature is amazing. Testing out this feature, decided to make a few NPCs with this new material, can imagine what kind of cool creations people can make. Maybe a new set of Sci Fi games come with heavy use of this new material. Unless you want to make other stuff too, this material is quite cool for multiple uses.

1 Like

This looks very cool. I plan to test it out tonight. Hearings lots of good things about it.

1 Like

I cant imagine how many scripts I can make with this!

1 Like

I might be a bit of a dunce, but what’s the point of this material if it has no additional properties to complement it? Is to also to be used in conjunction with the ForceField instance in some way?

1 Like

No, it is a material that is meant to be used in conjunction with a special mesh or to be applied to a mesh part which gives it the properties shown above, it is meant (what i’ve gathered at least) to be an astetic material for sci-fi games and any other games that may want to use a force-field like material. I personally have already made a custom force-field script using this to have a bubble forcefield instead of the particle one

2 Likes

Honestly, this will be GREAT for sci-fi games on ROBLOX!

3 Likes

I hope this effect isn’t intended… kinda kills most of my plans to use the material.

It’s likely not intended, zfighting is bad and i doubt Roblox would intentionally add it to a material

2 Likes

It sort of is intended. Let me explain.

It's the outline effect the material has:

Naturally, this effect can end up doing some funky things when a whole face is colliding at once:

9196d9dc5cf2c45f5d5bf59ad251629c

4 Likes

Regardless moving the camera shouldn’t effect how the face is rendered, meaning this is likely a bug and will be patched eventually

1 Like

This is by now the best material that you guys added. Its just awesome when we use it with some Meshes and turn’em into some Holograms.
Also, It’s a new way for making Custom Forcefields, now with custom colors! :+1:

I can’t achieve the effect from the first picture and I want Mine to look like that lol. Is it just a high definition texture that makes it look that way?

2 Likes

It would be quite epic if we had the ability to manually modify the shimmering channel’s value
(instead of it being automatic). I assume this is part of the future for this material?

It might happen with the upcoming custom materials. I just wish they made the green and blue channels also a part of the effect, allowing us to overlap different frames.

2 Likes

Wanting to post an update to my recent issue with this update.
It seems it was undone, and I’m very happy it was.

24 Likes

4 posts were merged out for being off-topic

Use the Platform Feedback subcategories to file bugs and requests, and make sure only to post to older topics when you have significant comments to make!

https://gyazo.com/c45bad1241fe1e3a7ab010e4bdf6d88c

You can easily achieve that portal feeling.

15 Likes