New Part Collision Property: CanTouch [ACTIVATED]

Yeah but it didn’t do anything until now.

thank god now i dont have like 999 errors in my output

2 Likes

Does/Will this also apply to terrain? There are touched events on terrain too since it inherits from BasePart and large-scaled terrains can definitely cause performance lag.

I can definitely image large terrain without detecting touched events faster.

I am pretty sure Touched events work with terrain, I’ll test again when able to

3 Likes

Terrain inherits from BasePart and should therefore have this property as well. It should work the same.

1 Like

Does this mean if you set CanTouch to false during a Touched event, the event function abruptly end then? Or will it finish?

1 Like

It will improve performance if both CanTouch and CanCollide are false

Yeah, but some BasePart properties apply to all parts except for Terrain (such as Anchored, CanCollide, Transparency, Color and etc), so will this property work or not?

I recommend disabling the Touched event if the CanTouch property is disabled. It’s most likely to not impact the server’s performance, instead of throwing an error.

Did you try both and how was performance difference?

1 Like

This is an amazing feature! I am no longer needing to use THAT much of debounce for my scripts, thanks Roblox!

If you disable CanTouch in a Touched Event it will disconnect the event so the print doesn’t get read.

1 Like

Well, if it ever gets fixed, it would be great with hitboxes and such. Especially concerning fighting games and how damage works.

Yes I agree This is a very good option. It is really improve my game!

dd
guess I don’t need this anymore! Thanks to the Roblox Team, since I have been having to add bool values to solve this since the beginning of time…

1 Like

This is pretty cool. That said I noticed within studio that any existing CanCollide parts had CanTouch as true. That caused some significant issues, and I imagine is game breaking for other games.

Can CanTouch be default set to false on games who already who CanCollide on parts set to false?

1 Like

Terrain actually have those properties that you mentioned, they are just not shown on properties widget and doesn’t really change anything.
Also I tried and it didn’t disable the touched event.

1 Like

How would this property being set to true cause any issues for games? The behaviour up until now has always been as if it were set to true. Setting to false by default in existing games is what would cause problems and break games.

3 Likes

That would break every character or part detector. That includes automatic doors and every drop detector in tycoons.

1 Like

Great. So we have been waiting for this feature so long, switched everything to Collision Groups, you enabled it, we finally enabled it and started using in new build we published and you switch it off day after :smiley: we did not experience any crashes, btw.

3 Likes

Perfect example as to why it’s necessary for new features to go through thorough beta testing before full release.

2 Likes