New Physics Class: RigidConstraint

This is a funny way to weld things together, I can’t wait to see what I can use this for. I love playing with physics and constraints.

2 Likes

Really? Because I’m a scripter and I barely understand this.

I mean just look my display name :eyes:

1 Like

This is amazing. I can imagine setting up a skeleton frame and creating modular rooms with ease. It’s like better welds.

1 Like

This could be very useful for Skinned Meshes, do RigidConstraints work with bones as well?

1 Like

To be honest, from the sample video I just see some parts CFraming to the 3D location you clicked. I don’t see an use in this. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

It’s extremely useful and a good use case has already been provided in the OP which is attaching accessories to characters via attachments. RigidConstraints can snap an accessory’s handle to a character’s head by the attachments without you having to write excessive boilerplate.

I made a post about attaching items to characters’ hands using attachments and it’s been quite a well-received post. Link to that here. One of the big problems is that this is dependent on two things: matching attachment names and a Humanoid which will internally create the welds for you.

There are also developers who don’t have Humanoids in their custom characters meaning the engine doesn’t handle snapping for them or their attachment points are different and therefore will not automatically snap. Check out this support thread, this developer wants to add accessories the same way Roblox does but they don’t have Humanoids. RigidConstraint would resolve their problem right away over using the weld code I supplied as the solution post.

5 Likes

Pretty awesome! About to try it out now with a wall I was putting together.

1 Like

If I understand, this will be useful for things like sticky bombs on moving objects, right?

You have to read the post as well. The main feature of this new constraint has yet to be released:

Yeah this is definitely big. It previously was very annoying and performance heavy to try and get more accurate demolition - using constraints not designed for that and desperately performing velocity and mass checks to get destruction was, while acceptable, definitely not as fun or intuitive as a simple force-based constraint breaking system.

Constraints were the best thing added to roblox and they only get better. It’s clear attachment-based constraints really modernized roblox and will continue doing so!

1 Like

How is this different than a weld constraint?

That’s really cool i will use it :slight_smile:

It’s cool that Roblox have so many features :smiley:

I’m still unsure how to attach stuff to avatars without scripting. But I did record myself attaching free models to each other because I have nothing else to do lol. I can’t link the video but it was an amazing video I just recorded. On a serious note, thank you Roblox, I need this update for building!

I’m hyped up for the ability to use these for destruction in the future. I’ve been trying to roll my own destruction physics script, but I must be getting the math wrong or something because cars will just instantly fall apart the moment I try to drive them. Hopefully this will fix that.

It would be pretty great if Roblox’s devs came out with a “soft body constraint”

1 Like

yeah ok you are a scripter lol ok cool XD

3 Likes

I mean, you can see my display name right? :thinking:

1 Like

The future plan of this sounds super useful! It will make time in the studio much more efficient and clean!

Using a RigidConstraint, when I attach a BasePart via Attachment to a skinned mesh via Bone, both of which the client is the network owner of, replication breaks on the skinned mesh side of things… is this intended or should it be considered a bug?

1 Like

I love this update! I used to be stuck using AlignPosition to kind of simulate a “weld” between two attachments.