New RunService Events?

Hello,

I noticed that Renderstepped, Stepped, and Heartbeat are deprecated and replaced. Can someone elaborate on which functions do which? And their differences.

Thanks.

1 Like

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/RunService

1. RunService.PreRender is the new RenderStepped
  2. RunService.PreSimulation is the new Stepped
  3. RunService.PostSimulation is the new Heartbeat

There is also RunService.PreAnimation, which fires before RunService.PreSimulation but after RunService.PreRender. All else is the same

31 Likes

Indeed, I noticed the replacement. I’m mostly asking which one is which and if the new events are better performance-wise.

Great! Thank you for your clarification. Do you know which one would be the fastest? If you don’t mind me asking.

I should have used an ordered list instead of unordered, my bad. I changed it.

…?
Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean.

game:GetService("RunService").PreRender:Connect(function()
        for i,v in pairs(workspace:WaitForChild("Balloon"):GetChildren()) do
            v:SetPrimaryPartCFrame(v.PrimaryPart.CFrame:Lerp(v.PrimaryPart.CFrame * CFrame.new(0,math.sin(tick() * 2) /3.5, 0), 0.3))
        end
    end)

It’s not even doing anything.

2 Likes

iirc they are not enabled yet.

1 Like

Considering there is no documentation for the new events on the api they might not be available yet. I would continue using the old events until then.

1 Like

Ok thank you so much :D. And is PreRender supposed to be faster?

The new events are documented, right? I saw them on the release notes.

They’re listed on the API but have no descriptions yet.

I don’t know for sure but this page shows the order that the task scheduler works:

5 Likes

Ah, that’s why I went here to ask. Are they not available right now? I’d like to make the transition early.

According to @FelixProfit’s test they don’t work yet. Roblox will probably make an announcement when they are ready.

1 Like

It would be nice to let people know on the API that they are currently not enabled. I’ve have been trying to get it working for the past 30 minutes and I had no clue what was wrong until now.

If there was no announcement then you can probably assume it’s not ready to be used yet. Besides, from my experience, it’s not like your game will instantly break if you’re using a depreciated one. You’ll have time to change it.

See RenderStepped, Stepped, or Heartbeat - #2 by rogchamp. It’s not a matter of speed, it’s a matter of when they happen.

2 Likes

base on logical reasoning, all they did was rename which means no code edited which means same performance as before

1 Like