New Settings Available in the Animation Editor

Do you know if there will be any major improvements to the editor like a graph or even a custom Inverse Kinematics setup?

4 Likes

Has the issue been fixed where importing an animation forces it to switch to 24 fps, messing up all the keyframes for animations that where created to run at 30+ fps? This issue has been around for as long as I can remember.

2 Likes

has to been new settings available with a customize for animation is update for more default animation editor should be great time for more to able animation editor

1 Like

Hey @CartoonBlur, thanks for asking! We are actually working on adding curve-based animation support to the Animation Editor. I don’t have a release timeline to share at this point, but the development is underway.

5 Likes

Hi there,
The issue should be fixed with this new feature. The framerate should be treated as a grid to snap to during editing.
When loading an animation, the keys won’t align anymore if the framerate is different, which means that the animation will keep playing at its intended speed even if the Snap Mode is set to Frames.
The Snap Mode only matters when you are creating, moving, or scaling keys.

2 Likes

This is great news for the built-in Roblox animator! The playback speed adjustment makes testing so much easier for animations that need to be played at different speeds (e.g. Walking, reloading weapons, etc).

However, on a mildly unrelated note, can we have an update on when the cubic easing direction will be fixed? It’s just uncompelling and inconvenient to use the default animator when such a basic problem persists.

5 Likes

pog i like animation and you helped me

2 Likes

Hello,
We are aware of this issue and we have looked into it, but unfortunately there is no easy solution that would guarantee that we do not break existing animations the way they are today. Some developers have intentionally used the opposite easing direction in the AnimationClipEditor so that their animations play correctly in game.
But do not fret! As @HaloArbiter_101 mentioned earlier, we are currently adding support for curve-based animations, and this will solve this problem.

7 Likes

With the new update, I am unable to slow down my animation via editing FPS anymore?
Yeah, I can’t edit my animation time duration anymore.

1 Like

No.
If you want to slow down your animation just to see how it looks, without actually modifying it, then you should use the new Playback Speed option. It allows you to select how much slower (or faster) you want to preview your animation in the Animation Clip Editor, without modifying how the animation would play in-game.
If you want to change the length of your animation, you can select all keyframes, and use the scale controls to shorten, or lengthen it. If you want to make sure that all your keyframes scale exactly to 24fps, you should activate the Snap Mode to Frames and select the corresponding framerate. Hint: You can even use a custom framerate!
Hope this helps!

1 Like

Okay this is really helpful! One suggestion: when you play animations on characters that are scaled down, the animation bugs out and the movement is incredibly massive.

1 Like

This will be very helpful for animators. being able to customize fps of the animation is awesome!

1 Like

Thanks the new update enable some real smooth animation import from blender. IK for skinned mesh when?

1 Like

Nice, this will give the built in editor some more functionality. Probably wont use it much but this is a nice addition. I think you should add a graph editor for interpolation (if you want this to be a serious tool).

1 Like

Sorry for asking this irrelevant question :slight_smile: but are the looped animations played on local script replicated to the server now?

1 Like

While I’m very glad this is coming to the default animator, it’s still very basic. I probably won’t be using the default animator (except for the times when I test a new rig) until it’s a more better and advanced, like fixing your dang selection in the animator, it’s horrendous how hard it is to select something in the default animator! Hopefully we get more easing styles and multi-rig animating, but until then, I’m sticking with Moon Animator.

2 Likes

this will be really useful. Instead of changing the duration of the animation, it will be enough to change the Playback Speed ​​(for I am not a good animator)

Alright? Can we change this with script while playing animation? if so isn’t it the same as anim:AdjustSpeed() ?

1 Like

Hey, I know this is slightly off-topic, but the issue seems to be getting ignored and I felt like this would be the best way to let you know of the issue. It’d be greatly appreciated if you could look into it: Animation Editor plugin does not use TweenService::GetValue - uses custom EasingStyles module instead

2 Likes

Hi @InsuranceAflac, thanks for the suggestion! We are aware of this issue and are working on a solution based on animation retargeting, which lets you get animations created on one avatar and apply them to other avatars with different proportions and scales.

2 Likes

Thanks @PierceMikyoto, and yes, we are currently working on adding curve-based animations to the Animation Editor! Stay tuned :slight_smile:

1 Like