New social services?

I noticed in a recent update there were some new social services/methods added to allow players to invite their friends into the game they are playing. I can’t seem to find a wiki entry or more info on this and I am very curious how these might work. Anytime have more info?

2 Likes

There is no info nor API for it but you can detect if the player follow someone into a game by checking

Player.FollowId

https://developer.roblox.com/resources/release-note/Release-Note-for-370
I think this is what your talking about, the update is still pending and not live yet so we can’t use it yet.

8 Likes

It’s not released yet, but you can see the API here:

12 Likes

Marked as solution because first, but thanks @Kampfkarren for linking the API reference, looking forward to this feature!

The SocialService is something I’ve been working on. It’s currently undergoing some additional testing and will likely be enabled sometime within the next coming weeks!

Edit:

I’ve been working with the relevant wiki teams to make sure this service is documented when it is enabled.

7 Likes

YAY! looking forward to it!

3 Likes

@be_nj so there’s api to allow developers to prompt players to invite their friends…

I’d like to build a referral system to reward players for inviting friends to the game. Is there going to be a way for the server to confirm that an invite has been sent?

3 Likes

Yup. This is one of the potential usecases for this api.

6 Likes

Any possibility of this service allowing players to follow their friends into a non-start place of a universe?

3 Likes

Will you be able to invite your friends to purchase a paid access game?

2 Likes

Heads up; this guy is now live

3 Likes

This is an amazing addition that I am sure is going to help a lot of developers increase engagment!

THANK YOU!!!

1 Like

Why does the SocialService api force you to use a core ui? When I found this I was planning on using it with my own lobby tp ui-system as it would be a great feature on mobile. When I found out that the api is restricted to the use of a roblox core gui it makes it unusable for my use case.

@be_nj do you plan on implementing something in social service where developers can send an invite to a userid?

Almost definitely for the same reason why any other interface for a service is a CoreGui: security purposes. Allowing developers to modify CoreGuis is not a wise idea; been asked for many times for other features, been denied every time.

If you want an addition to the SocialService, please file an engine feature request.