New Sponsored Items and Updated Ad Audiences

They are only rolled out to 10% of 13+ users.

4 Likes

I’m a little confused on the ramifications of this change. What is the reason for disabling advertising to players under 13? It seems hypocritical since Roblox normally feeds off these players in sponsored events like the current Fifa World and the previous Ralph Lauren Polo event (among MANY others). The only reason you guys removed this ability seems to be for some “ethical” reason but by that token, shouldn’t all advertisements to children be blocked from the platform, no matter who makes them?

14 Likes

To be honest, they probably did it for legal reasons not ethical reasons.

14 Likes

Do the age requirements apply to users with their account age set to over 13 or are you required to verify it through id? If it’s the latter then this update effectively tanked advertising, barring 95% of roblox’s player based from impressions.

1 Like

This kills a major player base (50%) of the entire Roblox population, I noticed that the test user in Studio also has an ‘AdsEnabled’ property now, so in-game advertisements will likely not be available for under 13 players. This is a likely major revenue area (and current discovery method) that won’t function for under 13 players. If I now make a game targeted for under 13 players, there is no way for me to get my experience discovered. That’s literally the foundation of a community, getting the first players to notice, that has now been taken away from developers who make experiences with a major audience of under 13 players.

14 Likes

Game discovery has actively been a very contentious subject in the community, and for good reason; it’s been fundamentally broken.

This is yet another change that is going to make discoverability for games on the platform much worse when it already wasn’t all that great to begin with. Sponsors used to appear everywhere, but were pushed into their own category, which was then pushed down 7 rows down. A lot of games have already stopped using them for this reason.

If the argument is an ethical one then it makes sense to block ads which can be predatory, but why sponsors? Sponsors basically act to boost games on the discover page where they would already appear otherwise. You can’t set a custom name or icon for a sponsorship, they appear identically as they would on the games page. They’re not predatory in the slightest.

Overall this change just hurts new and existing games and deprives them from reaching half of Roblox’s userbase.

24 Likes

You can give your opinion again once you have 2 kids, it’ll be more convincing, for a topic for parents.

6 Likes

“As of today, all Roblox advertisements (including Sponsored Experiences, Sponsored Items, and User Ads)”

I wonder if Roblox is going to take down the paid advertisements from off-platform companies for 13 and under. Surely Roblox wont benefit off of mass showing off-platform ads to the 13 and under player-base.

If I can’t blanket advertise to all of Roblox. Off-platform companies shouldn’t be able to either.

18 Likes

I’m totally flabbergasted.

Why?

Ads/sponsors already halved since march, now we can expect ANOTHER halve. How much money do I need to spend to get the impressions I need to turn a profit? Moving sponsors DOWN on sorts, now making ALL ads not shown to under 13’s is such a bizarre and counter productive move and downgrade to the platform. They had already become practically useless, now EVEN more useless. It is becoming increasingly difficult for upcoming developers to make any sort of games more and more now.

18 Likes

What are we supposed to do now bruh

15 Likes

Ran sponsors when this first came out, Im seeing half performance already… This is not a good sign for things to come.

8 Likes

I understand that, but it is an overkill still and will seriously harm all developers except the large ones.

It was already almost impossible for small developers to gain traction.

7 Likes

RIP Advertising to my entire demographic :joy: :joy:

9 Likes

the change is good but also bad, i think games suitable for all ages should be able to be advertised -13 and should be rearranged accordingly otherwise roblox family safe games won’t be anymore and new developers will definitely not be there anymore because it won’t be easy to start and good advertising will be needed and definitely this youtubers way will be with

4 Likes

Yeah lets make game discovery even worse and not offer any new ways to offset the loss of U13 ads. Amazing idea.

16 Likes

This just feels like a slap in the face. As a small developer, it’s already difficult enough to grow and maintain a userbase without crazy funding. This decision essentially blocks advertising to HALF of the userbase (<13), making competition tighter and our reach smaller.

The lack of a heads-up and transparency is also extremely frustrating. I understand if the decision was made for privacy reasons, but there’s no justification for this anywhere in the post. In my eyes, this is literally commercial suicide.

I’m baffled, this is extremely upsetting. Normally I just brush off the occasional slip up from Roblox, but this is unacceptable. My player base, and hence my income will be effectively HALVED. For a platform that prides itself on being user-generated, it seems like there was little (if any) consideration for its creators with this decision.

25 Likes

No, You can’t remove Player under age of 13 to the Game Sponsor Ads… It make no sense.
You want to improve Game visibility not to Reduce it…

YOU ARE REMOVING 54% OF PLAYER VISIBILITY
ITS ONLY A GAME ICON … ITs not a Billboard… Am I the Only one Freaking out At the moment???

33 Likes

He’s referring to the UGC discovery change. If Roblox disables the ability to browse through UGC in the catalog they can make more money by offering a way for creators to make their UGC more discoverable (sponsorships)

3 Likes

Majority of the ads on the platform are clickbait and contain random and misleading information. I feel this is a change that needed to happen. It’s a shame it took this long though.

5 Likes

I thought tracking kids history and targeting ads to them because of their histroy was what’s illegal? Roblox sponsors and ads aren’t catered to someone based on their search history as far as I’m aware, so why were they removed?

15 Likes