New Studio Beta: Attributes!

The lack of needing a million Value objects has made me feel pure joy.

small but epic addition innit ma dudes

Yeah, like a folder of attributes to sort it better.

1 Like

aint that just values in a folder?

Except it’s cleaner and it isn’t inside the tool, kinda.
It’s a property of the tool.

Attributes are now enabled in live-games!

1 Like

This is great, maybe adding :CreateAttribute will be a cool option, why will this be? Well for plugins this will be awsome as they can create their own object and attributes and you could modify them there. Lovely to see this also implemented!

Maybe this can be a part of the :SetAttribute() Function, if they didn’t add it already ofcourse. lets say that you want to set an attribute that doesn’t exist (example: Instance:SetAttribute(“AttributeName”, “AttributeValue”) I’m not 100% if this works I havn’t tried it but I think theres a way to insert attributes (I’ve seen someone use some sort of json code thingy to put tables in) I just think this would be a reasonable way to add an attribute, the only problem is selecting it’s value (I know it can be easily pre-determined on what the value would be like vector3.new(3,2,1) would obviously be a vector value) They might actually have this already in but again I havn’t fully tested the feature out so I guess I’ll try now lol.

Great addition! Is there any reason why cloned parts don’t keep attributes? (I’ve noticed they do through cloning in the command line or duplicating or copy/paste). Would be great if this was also added. Great addition to the development tools though, look forward to making use of them!

2 Likes

When testing locally I am unable to reproduce this issue. Is there anything specific you’re doing?

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a test, turns out it was a mistake on our part, apologies.

3 Likes

Feels great! But still limited. What features are you willing to increment on it?

I miss the most a way to keep it organized. We could place new attributes windows, not only the default “Attribute” window, adding custom Enums as value and Read Only would be great.

This is unconfortable:

1 Like

Are you guys ever planning on ading “object values”? The values like “Parent” for example where you can select another instance.

Apologies for the delay in response, but what I was wanting to do is make a plugin that would check the current model that is selected for parts that have an attribute with a specific name and then make textures inside of said part, and I was and still am absolutely lost with the collection service so I was just hoping for a simple way to do it, as well I can think of a couple times I could use a similar idea were I can check for parts with a set name and do something with it

1 Like

Got it! This definitely sounds like a case where I’d use CollectionService and attributes. A quick-run down of CollectionService:

• CollectionService lets you ‘tag’ instances.
  • An instance either does or doesn’t have a tag making them similar to boolean attributes.
  • You can get all instances in your game with a specific tag using CollectionService.
  • You can listen to instances being added and removed from your game with a specific tag.

So to solve your use-case, I would tag all instances that have a specific attribute and use the tag to find those instances later on with CollectionService. You could even have the plugin add the attributes automatically when the tag is added.

You’ll want to look at:

• CollectionService:GetTagged(tag)
  • CollectionService:GetInstanceAddedSignal(tag)
  • CollectionService:GetInstanceRemovedSignal(tag)
  • CollectionService:AddTag(tag)

You might also be interested in @Sweetheartichoke’s Tag Editor plugin.

6 Likes

I’m having this very unusual Studio UI bug - type boolean and type number attribute don’t display correctly in the properties tab (e.g. boolean displays as number and vice versa). Just watch the video it’s hard to explain.

keep an eye on the “Value” attribute at the bottom, its type corresponds to the name of the instance

4 Likes

Read only option

Hello I like this feature of Attributes I would like to know if the developers can add a read only option. So for example I want to create something that people can reuse and they adjust the attributes values based what they like. For example a kill brick (which is a part) I added damage attribute and that “Damage” Attribute will be the total damage you take now I want to add another attribute called maybe ClassName or somethings else with e.g a value of string “KillBrick” now this attribute I want to have it readonly like the object actual ClassName being readonly.

3 Likes

There appears to be a bug where the GetAttributeChangedSignal event does not fire in play test (F5) mode. It works in non-play test mode (F8) when I toggle or change values. This is verified by adding a print message on the part of a script that’s fired by the event.

1 Like

are attributes out yet? i wanna use them but im not sure if it will break in the game itself

They are indeed! I’ve updated the original post with a link to the release thread :smiley: