New Studio Beta: Attributes!

yeah I believe it’s faster and way more efficient :partying_face: thank u roblox

Now we don’t need to much table or variables cause we can access them immediately from the properties thank u

I see what you mean, but this is the kind of hidden hard-to-discover behavior that we wouldn’t want to bake into streaming. For example, should it suddenly not work when you put those Value objects into a folder? What about more nesting? What if you nest the value objects under a script? Should it still work for any “container”? But at that point you run into the same problems again.

9 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with this point. I feel that a lot of the black-box behavior that we (developers) complain about to Roblox is stemmed from this kind of request.

At the end of the day, Attributes are a wonderful improvement regardless of their StreamingEnabled benefits, which I also greatly appreciate. I would rather we add features that explicitly take StreamingEnabled into consideration instead of creating behaviors which more likely than not will come back to haunt us a few years from now.

3 Likes

This is a very nice way especially for someone who saves a little data in instance tags.

Another version of this would be a similar thing for uploaded assets so developers can easily create meta. Something like labels for uploaded assets with key-value pairs is like putting JSON to its description but without getting hashtags.

This way beginner developers can make easy asset configurations without even making their solution. Didn’t make a feedback post for that because it is minor.

A good upgrade, thank you!

They should make it indexable like “object.Property” but if it interferes with an existing default property it should be, “object:GetAttribute(“Property”)”

2 Likes

Ive been waiting for this for quite a bit now, pretty exited to see it in beta. My new projects definetely use a lot of ValueObjects for data so its nice to not have to do that anymore.

For the initial release theres quite a bit of supported datatypes, but do you have plans on supporting Instance data types? I find myself using ObjectValues a lot and having attributes support Instances will be very nice.

Im exited for this to go live

Idk if you guys know already, but when I ran this code no errors popped up:

workspace:SetAttribute("Userdata", newproxy(true))
1 Like

The documentation has an error, shouldn’t this be all with capital letters:

SetAttribute by the way…

1 Like

whats going to happen to the value objects?

2 Likes

THIS IS SO AWESOME LETS GOOO :smile:

It would be nice if I could use .Changed, so for now I’m gonna stick to Values for the stuff I do.

Epic! Seems like this will be very useful.

I am hoping in the future there will be support for all data types (primitive and non).

This is cool, but custom object/instance attributes will be really useful, because i’d like to replace object values for organization purposes.

They will probably stay for now since it has it’s own usages (For leaderstats).

1 Like

.AttributeChanged and :GetAttributeChangedSignal exist.

1 Like

You cant use Userdata in the beta.

So this is going to be so useful! Now I can just add attributes instead of creating millions of values and referencing them.

Also artibbiutes are basically like public variable in unity right?

Or more like adding your own properties to an object

Based on all the points raised in this thread it feels like the best solution would be to un-deprecate the Configuration object, and allow attributes to be applied to them exclusively. This solves the streaming issue while also not duplicating Value functionality.

My main gripe with Attributes is how they effectively try to replace Value objects/instances (ability to place them anywhere) - while also being impossible to view in the Explorer. This is akin to adding random properties to classes in a codebase wherever you need them - it encourages bad style especially as a game codebase grows.

Locking the feature to Configurations would allow Roblox to un-deprecate an object rather than duplicate functionality, and be easily viewable in the explorer as well. It would be a dedicated place for configuration and be very clear to contributors and non-engineers how to use it.

Please consider these changes!

2 Likes