New Studio Beta: Attributes!

Loving this feature so far, but it’d be useful if we could select multiple items with the same attribute and change all of them at once. Currently, it seems to only change the attribute of the first selected item and the same attribute of each following item must be changed individually.

1 Like

Suggestion:
A Slider thing should be added, because i would like to do some
live changes like editing my script to be better and getting live changes (procedural generation, etc)

3 Likes

I would love to see function data type supported. Roblox could automatically create a ModuleScript as a child of the instance and the function code would be there. Imagine if you could write workspace.Enemy:Attack(game.Players.Cinderkittenz.Character).

F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! I just tried them and they are extremely useful, and will save many developers’ time when doing certain things. Can’t wait for them to officially come out!

Will this work with animations in the attributes?

In the attributes, there’s an option called “number.”

If you wanted to, you could put the animation ID in the object you’re trying to animate as a “number” attribute, as shown below.
Screenshot (5)

1 Like

A function such as SetAttributes( [Dictionary] ) would be fantastic. Being able to call a single function rather the same function three times as shown in the example.

9 Likes

You could just make a custom function as a substitute for that in the mean time

local function SetAttributes(instance, attributes)
    for index, value in pairs(attributes) do
        instance:SetAttribute(index, value)
    end
end

SetAttributes(Instance, {
    one = 1,
    two = 2
})
2 Likes

After so many time. Thanks. Just before I start my framework for my weapon…

Would this kinda be like a replacement for values? except more integrated into the parent itself?

2 Likes

Yes, but there are still uses for values

This is definitely cleaner than using value objects. My only gripe is no being able to easily see which objects have custom attributes. However I will definitely use these to extend the functionality of some Roblox classes such as the Player class. Using attributes on a per model basis could get chaotic.

9 Likes

Yeah, I think most cases for them will be with tags/components. I can see them being especially useful for people who follow the MVC Architecture/Framework.

3 Likes

This was such a good idea! Definitely will try it out!

Finally I don’t have to see players filled with houndreds of int / bool values.
This is the best update ever!

1 Like

Now exploiters wont have to look for Module scripts to change values :man_facepalming:

This isn’t necessarily true. Exploiters can read/write to attributes (once they’re live of course) the same way they would be able to modify them in values. Like values, attributes respect FilteringEnabled replication rules and will not replicate changes made from the client.

7 Likes

I know there isn’t a set release date but is there a precedent for how long it generally takes beta features to go live?

1 Like

Huh, this is quite interesting.

Could we get a function like :GetAttributed() or something of the like? We could iterate through all of the game’s descendants that way but I think a built-in feature would be useful.