New subcategories added to Forum Feedback to improve feedback throughput

Is it possible to let us move our own topics to the new category? There are many topics that should be moved, and having them moved by DET/Sages will take ages. (Sorry for the rhyme).

2 Likes

Since PSA topics are now diverted to #lounge, will it that Lounge category be opened up for members? This will be useful because the PSA topics are very helpful for new users, much more so than Regulars.

Also, let me get this straight: we cannot create new topics in #forum-feedback anymore, but I noticed we can still reply. Is this intentional, I thought we were closing that category off for good?

Thank you making this change!
One of the holiday gifts. :gift:

Edit: I mean perhaps adding a member accessible category to Lounge, not opening the entire thing up!

1 Like

Can we instead have a #lounge:psa so members do not get access to the majority of lounge?

Unfortunately Discourse has limited settings, I can’t configure it so that you can pull topics out but not let people create new topics there.

You can file a feature request on this, this is unfortunately not my department.

2 Likes

Where do I post anything? The categories are locked (I can’t post a topic at all), so why add them?

1 Like

You have trust level 1 so you are able to create posts in any of the three subcategories.

1 Like

We only have access to post in #forum-feedback:forum-features.

Can you try hard-refreshing the page? They are definitely accessible to trust level 1, I see some users posting there already.

1 Like

Umm…

(And now I can’t post in Forum Bugs)

cc @GamersInternational

Never mind I did a refresh and it works.

Despite #forum-feedback:forum-bugs being open to all, I can’t move a topic into that subcategory. Is this intentional?

If so, could this “About Topic” be edited?

3 Likes

That’s fine, but will we be able to flag these posts to be moved by DET?

Ah yes I see them, you just can’t do it without going into any sub-categories, sorry for the confusion.

It looks like not allowing you to edit your own topics out of the top-level is too confusing, so I’ve re-allowed posting permissions on the top-level for now so you can move your posts out yourself for the time being.

6 Likes

So… Or members are going to get access to #Lounge soon, pls no or we will be no longer able to discuss this kind of topics anymore? (I’m refering to members with that “we”)

Sorry, I’m not sure how to answer this question since I don’t manage forum access. The motivation for this change is making it easier for us to distinguish different kinds of forum feedback. I recommend filing a feature request if one does not already exist so a more appropriate team can pick up your feedback!

3 Likes

I feel this is an incredibly patchwork solution since most PSAs are talking about stopping certain common behaviours which are not constructive on the forum which are mainly carried out by members so posting it in lounge kind of defeats the point of it, opening up lounge is also not viable due to the amount of sensitive information stored there.

Perhaps a forum discussion category would be appreciated?

6 Likes

Thanks for the comment! Based on some inspection I performed before this change, it appears like these kinds of topics only reach a small portion of highly engaged forum users and did not appear to be effective at solving the immediate or underlying problems.

I’m sure our product and devrel teams would love to hear about the issues that prompted you to make these kinds of topics, so we can think about structural solutions. Feel free to file feature requests on them. Try to focus on the problem rather than the proposed solution if you can.

5 Likes

I personally think that such a category mustn’t be made. It could be used as an alternative lounge (I have even seen users claiming DD should be a lounge category because it contains the word discussion in its name). Not only that, this means such posts are endorsed and that’d be weird, because other PSA threads have been removed in the past. They are pointless anyway.

Hey, it was a good thing these sub categories are added, but one thing I’m missing is the actual feedback. Before, people could post their own feedback here, now there are only 3 subcategories, which is totally not related to our feedback.

I’m not quite sure what you mean, you should be able to use #forum-feedback:forum-features to send us feature requests. Similar to what you do in #platform-feedback for the rest of the platform.

If you mean you need a place to chat with fellow forum users, you can use the #lounge category if you are a Regular, or otherwise send private messages to the users.

3 Likes