New SurfaceGui.MaxDistance property

What does the C: stand for? (so i can remember easier) Class? I’m thinking.

I was just trying to search for all scripts the other day and I thought it used to work but it wasn’t, but this will work, thanks.

4 Likes

Love to see it! Can’t wait to use this and update my games.

3 Likes

C stands for class, and there’s docs on how to use the explorer search arguments

5 Likes

This was such a much needed improvement! Thanks so much!

While SurfaceGuis are being worked on, would it be possible to add a way to change the max distance you can click a GuiButton?

Our game uses billboards to advertise some of our Dev Products & if you’re too far away from them you can’t click the buttons.

4 Likes

Wow, 1000 studs sure is far for a surfacegui, this runway number is 15 studs across!
from 999 studs:

1000+ studs:

5 Likes

This would work a lot better if the surfacegui background didn’t vanish with the text/images.

3 Likes

Small update, but cool nevertheless

2 Likes

This is great! I like performance updates. Will there be a similar property for ParticleEmitter in the future?

4 Likes

This is awesome. As a suggestion, I would like to see the ability to offer intent to Roblox rather than strict values.

In my game, I have a large area with lots of SurfaceGuis. I would like as many as reasonable to render, because hardcoding a max distance on them for the lowest denominator would make the game look bad to everyone, but I would like to signal to Roblox that a SurfaceGui is okay to stop rendering if it is too far.

Something like a minimum distance property, and the option to let Roblox choose at the in betweens of min and max distance whether or not my SurfaceGui should be rendered.

Basically, I want you to always see SurfaceGuis close to you, and for anything further, let Roblox decide based on specs/graphics quality.

11 Likes

this will definitely benefit tons of people wanting better performance

2 Likes

You could run a command like this in the command bar:

for i,v in ipairs(game:GetDescendants()) do if v:IsA("SurfaceGui") then v.MaxDistance = 1000 end end
8 Likes

Could you guys also make it so SurfaceGui Wrap around Meshes or curvy blocks or anything? So it becomes a decal, But more efficent, so people could make wraps around it and it could be useful!

6 Likes

If they couldn’t do that with decals then I doubt the can make it work with surfaceGUI

4 Likes

You could make a localscript that sets the max distance property on the client based on the users graphics quality.

Here is a script that does so.

UserSettings().GameSettings.Changed:Connect(function()
	local children = game:GetDescendants()
	for i = 1, #children do
		if children[i].ClassName == "SurfaceGui" then
			children[i].MaxDistance = 12.8+(UserSettings().GameSettings.SavedQualityLevel.Value*38.4)
		end
	end
end)
5 Likes

Very great FPS-wise, will find a use one way or another.

2 Likes

Small, but much needed update. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Decals can wrap around meshes or curvy blocks but the problem is SurfaceGui does not have the same accesibility as a decal, now how will we make easy customization on cars,guns,building? And even reflections!

5 Likes
  1. I shouldn’t have to, Roblox knows best what it can perform given the specs
  2. This doesn’t work with Automatic.
4 Likes

Nice update! This could improve performance in a lot of games

1 Like

I NEVER KNEW THAT WAS POSSIBLE, THANK YOU DUDE.

What is the “C:” for? I’m curious.