New Terrain, and Parts, and Built-In Materials, Oh my!

I’d support the ability for this as well, but for my use case, specifically on the regular Plastic material (which hasn’t looked right since FiB2.5 released IMO).

Wow, this looks amazing! I imagine some realistic games will be so much more realistic!

If I showed this to someone who doesn’t know about this update, they would probably think it’s a completely different game!

If possible, I would like to opt-in, ID: 6072512491 (The game is just a place to test new updates!)

5 Likes

I love this! I wanted to use terrain but I kept getting bored of the same old textures like the cobblestone. Now I have much more options and the options I have are much more prettier. Everything in the update looks great the textures are so high qualty! And the examples used for the terrain makes them even better. I’m looking forward to games with these new terrain materials used.

This is absolutely stunning! As I am looking forward to an eventual professional development hobby in the future (hopefully near), the much needed new materials (and their additional applications in due part being applicable to primitives) will be greatly appreciated not just by me, yet other obviously many other developers! I thank all the team(s) putting forth the effort to bring us these wonderful new features!

Now I would like to bring in the question of fidelity for terrain geometry and water (not completely relevant, however, I am curious to the future); will we see improved quality to the terrain geometry overall, as well as different ways to form terrain via tools such as high fidelity integrated rock formations using the geometry of the terrain? Further more, could water be on its own stand alone grid to rid the ugly triangular boundaries between that and terrain? Not only is that disruptive visually yet certainly physically, as the transition is by no means seamless.

Many thanks in advance!

1. Are the current material settings going to remain available as they are (even if just renamed), after this update releases? Many of the current materials have been around since October 2013, and over the course of 7 years, developers have grown used to and dependent on them. It’d be a shame to see the current ones completely removed just for the sake of “realism”, potentially ruining the visuals of many existing games, which are no longer updated. (I’m working on an update for one of my games currently and it features both the current Sand and Slate materials - it would end up looking quite ugly if these current material textures & settings ceased to exist)

2. Considering the materials are facing significant changes, what’s going to happen to Plastic, and in turn, the Stud surface property? Many people depend on Studs as a scale of measure.

3. This could make it significantly harder for developers to create a more “classic ROBLOX (circa October 2013)” style in their games when this is what they wish to do - this ties into question 1 - will the existing materials still be available, and if not, what can be done to replicate their appearance?

4 Likes

Thanks roblox! This is good update, I love it.

This is amazing improvement, I can’t wait to see it in games when it fully releases!

Place ID:

This LOOKS INSANE. I cannot wait to be using this. One of the best updates ever :+1:

Thats amazing! I think a copper material would add for a nice touch also. Perhaps not now, but in the future it would be nice to choose how rusted you want the rusty metal texture(s)

Lookin slick. Maybe its time to start on a new showcase, or maybe revisit an old one.

Sounds super cool! Would love to try it out on my town I am currently working on…

Place ID: 5888269692

This looks absolutely stunning! Having new materials to play with is a real treat. Though, I’d really like to see a molten/fluid lava material for terrain, as that’s something that’s been teased before. Right now the only fluid is water, and it would be great to see a proper lava fluid with customizable parameters similar to water, such as wave speed, frequency, etc

Man, this is so sick, thank for people that work behind this, we have been waiting for this over a decade, man look at this

It brings so much realism that I been waiting for

I want to be opt-in in this awesome update here the place id | 5062458811 and 5046943838

5 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Another stunning update from ROBLOX, this is so beneficial for creating hyper realistic terrain and land masses, thank you!

I’d love to opt in and be added to the whitelist and experience this magic! Place ID: 4608020804

1 Like

This is extreamly exciting to see. I have always been a fan of Roblox’s built in materials since the first days of the Worlds of Wood Building Contest (of which I still love my Helm of the Great Tree ;D). I honestly can’t even begin to explain how excited I am for this. Literally the only thing that would make me happier is more in-depth VR support coupled with this so I could stop spending so much time on VRChat and start spending most of it on Roblox in the worlds I made, hahaha.

Leafy Grass, Snow, Cracked Lava, I’m so excited for these current terrain materials to be added to parts.
Thatch, Wood Bark (Pine), Moss, Dried Leaf Ground… I let out a noise of excitement haha.
Fur, Denim, Leather, Cardboard Paper, Painted Metal… Again, noises of excitement.

I can’t believe we’ve come so far from Wood.image

9 Likes

Oh! Yeah! I want yo try it! :smiley:

We’re doing an open world game so we’d like to opt in: 5880207738

Yanno, Love the update and everything, but I feel like this might take a hit on lower-end PCs unless I’m wrong. But it isn’t really too public yet so. I’m ready to start fiddling around with it.

This is amazing, really can’t wait for this to be enabled.

Can we expect any time soon that we can upload our own terrain materials to the engine/site?

I would also like to see this in my game,

This update is insane !!

I think alot of developers will like this feature ! Especially Showcase developers. I love how the texture have been reworked. I don’t know if the pink model is Fabric but if it’s, i’m very happy to see that fabric is more beautiful. Same for Ice and sand, this is a new step in the realism of Roblox !! Can’t wait for use this new feature

Congratulations to all who worked on this !

By the way, I would like to opt-in
The PlaceID is: 6068896746

4 Likes