New Terrain and Parts Built-In Materials - Release Build

This is will become an entertaining topic to watch. Personally, I’m fine with the not having the old materials. I understand that people will have to spend a lot of time fixing it, but I want to view this update from a good standpoint.

2 Likes

Sure, new materials are great, but they aren’t very flexible and the fact that old materials are being removed means that pretty much any existing work isn’t gonna look good.

honestly if old materials are removed entirely and/or roblox does nothing about this i’m probably just gonna switch engines

10 Likes

I don’t understand why everyone is acting like a baby. If you don’t want to use the new materials, then don’t build at all. It’s as simple as that. Roblox can do whatever they want and they don’t have to listen you.

3 Likes

I still don’t understand as to why a toggle isn’t viable.

10 Likes

boom… key word “personally”, this needs to be optional to every developer and every game as it doesn’t work with every instance…

15 Likes

Its simple!

1. Go to this DevForum thread and choose the material you want:
    All Roblox Part Textures (PRE JUNE 2021)
  2. Upload them here:
    Create - Roblox
  3. Get the numbers of the texture you upload
  4. Add a texture to your part
  5. Add the ID
  6. Copy the color
  7. Done!
4 Likes

I really dislike this. While the materials themselves look pretty good (though some a bit too clean), the issue is that they are almost entirely incompatible with existing builds. Instead of dropping this nuclear bomb of an update which entirely ruins builds which took talented builders months to complete with limited tools, you should have kept the old ones with existing names and added a “New” prefix to the new materials.

One example that has been poking me in the eyes this entire time is the Brick material. It looks cleaner than an artisan’s sculpture does, while the old one has this gritty texture to it, especially noticeable with a nearby light source.

5 Likes

What you can do is hold alt while clicking a model on Windows. If you are on Mac like me, hold option and click on the part.

1 Like

well thats kinda rude, so because some of our builds are ruined we should just stop building? yeah makes perfect sense thanks

15 Likes

Mmm yes corporate can absolutely do whatever they want to please stockholders and completely ignore the fact that they are throwing almost a decade of millions’ of users’ work under the bus, very helpful and intelligent decision on their end. If I was running a company I too would choose to make the lives of my developers significantly harder.

Ditto. I’m expecting a load of community backlash (it’s already happening), but similarly to other things we’ve backlashed about I doubt they’ll do anything since they clearly are deadset on this stupid decision.

I’m probably going to abandon my projects and go elsewhere considering how tone-deaf this update is.

21 Likes

I understand. But again, that’s just my personal opinion based on my experiences.

1 Like

Uh… well…

This is WAY too metallic

Time to say byebye EnviormentSpecularScale and EnviormentDiffuseScale, i guess :joy:

1 Like

That is such a non-argument, grow up.
Roblox Developers are the ones that built what Roblox has become, they have to listen to Developers feedback, they are obligated to by all means.
It is quite outrageous of you to tell someone to simply “not build” because Roblox can do whatever they want on their platform that they did not make alone themselves.
Are you saying you would be more than happy to forfeit your rights to vote because “The country can do whatever it wants”? :expressionless:

24 Likes

Actually roblox is messing with years of work what would you do if I just perm deleted your script you didnt save that you spent 5 years on you would be mad and ban me from your games

2 Likes

The new slate material is awful

17 Likes

I understand the desire for ROBLOX as a corporation to modernize their platform. It undoubtedly keeps the platform from going stale, even if it hurts our nostalgia. It’s completely justifiable from a business standpoint.

Still, as many other have stated, there is absolutely no reason to void the existing materials. Not viable, you say? It’s also not viable to expect thousands of creators who rely on your platform to take days or potentially even weeks to make their existing structures visually compatible.

This may be a case-by-case issue, as some creations certainly could benefit from the forced change. However, the majority of these projects are absolutely ruined, as evident from the several replies and feedback on this thread, and they will remain ruined until custom materials are released. And ironically, ROBLOX still isn’t really the one fixing this issue. The custom materials they will provide are allowing us as a community to reconstruct something that ROBLOX is removing with no adequate reason provided. I think I speak for hundreds of developers when I say this shouldn’t be an issue in the first place.

ROBLOX has pushed multiple graphics updates which continued to support older builds, so I don’t understand why it’s so hard to just keep the legacy materials as an option. The lighting, for example, had a legacy option which enabled creators to avoid new lighting updates such as shadow-mapping from ruining the appearance of their games. Why is this any different? If we aren’t going to receive backwards compatibility, I think we at least deserve answers.

When updates like this were forced in the past, they were usually forced on elements which weren’t as relied on. The only exception I can think of was the adjustment to force FilteringEnabled onto all projects, which, while it did break thousands of scripts, was a completely justifiable action to help protect exploiters from having too much freedom. This, on the other hand, has no valid justification behind it.

I’m not too upset about my own projects because I have never built anything too reliant on materials for aesthetics (thankfully), but I’m angry on behalf of everyone whose hard work has essentially been ruined, and without apology. This is doing a disservice to several developers, and I don’t even agree with this move from a business perspective because multiple creators will undoubtedly abandon the platform due to updates like this.

36 Likes

Your build isn’t deleted, it just looks different.

1 Like

Refer to this relpy:

The last sentence also applies to you.

3 Likes

I can’t like this post because I ran out of likes, but bravo, this is literally exactly what I think needs to be said. It’s a one-sided approach from Roblox.

The last time an update was this bad, it was FilteringEnabled, but at least that had a justification and didn’t impact the game’s design. This is probably the worst update I’ve ever seen in all 7 years I’ve been here.

4 Likes

My eyes have never burned this much before…

8 Likes