New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

As I said. What if a person wants to use both but has a script that changes materials and they use the legacy enums because the script was created before the new materials. And they just want to use a few of the old ones. Would they now need to change every line that contains a the old enums to the new ones? It’ll be too time consuming which is why I say you should only be able to chose 1 style for your entire game. While limiting it’s what has to happen for this to work with no issue’s.

3 Likes

Please for the love of god, pay attention to this man.

You never pay attention to this man.

This man? He’s the man.

Please heed his words.

Why aren’t you heeding his words?

16 Likes

Wouldnt it be better to only add new materials instead of replacing the old ones? Because atleast for me what about the other people that liked the old ones?

5 Likes

It wouldn’t cause any issues having the new ones be different enums and the old ones retaining theirs, because they would be newly added and would have no effect on existing script behaviour? It’d be difficult if you wanted to update a script involving changing a part’s material, yes, but I think this is better than the alternative and opens up far more opportunities for developers than it would restrict.

6 Likes

True. But it really could make it annoying to do. Maybe using both could be a option so old games dont get affected and new games dont need to change any scripts if it was being made before it.

4 Likes
1 Like

I already know, they’re working on fixing it.

2 Likes

Some of the textures are a real improvement from a realism perspective - although it’s rather frustrating that the tone/colour of a lot of them are completely different to the originals. Obviously that can be fixed by changing the colour of the material.

But here are the top things that I feel do need to change:

• blending between materials - they are far too harsh now giving a much more cartoony feel to any game
  • grass is flat and unrealistic - it lacks any sort of depth (this will be one of the most used materials on terrain so should be fixed as a priority over others)
  • cracked vs non-cracked materials depending on the angle of terrain should be retained

What would be nice from a blending point of view is the ability to control the fade between 0-100% so that you can morph from one material to another over a much larger area. But failing that, the new materials must blend as good as the existing ones.

6 Likes

Bug: you can see ghosting on the brick material. I don’t think this is intended:
You can clearly see a faint version of the bricks in here.

Possibly as a side effect of this, or not, there are very apparent diagonal lines when looking at it from a distance.

I am going to suggest this as well: please please and please add a toggle for this! This has completely ruined this building of mine, for example:

It looks like smooth plastic when in reality it was built to look like this:

(ignore the different shadow)

3 Likes

Ok. This is kind of infuriating. We all have been waiting a few months I think, and we had high expectations. The pictures from the original post was overwhelming and a “I need this” but look at this. These new materials make me feel like you guys didn’t really go back and see what actually these materials look like from a builders view, not a roblox developers view where you want to make what you asked for, a new type of texture that brings out more realism. You definitely did do that but you guys didn’t seem to work on how it looks. This is madness.

wood review roblox

These chairs are so different due to the materials. Do not put in blends. I repeat do not put in blends. Don’t add a darker color into that texture. Don’t add a green to the grass.

wood review roblox

This definitely should not be textured like that. It does look realistic and cool but it doesn’t fit in. It had like oval shapes on it and makes builds horrible. Hence this is what they turn out to look like.

wood review roblox

I don’t have the download since I can’t download it so I don’t really have a model to show. So bear with me. Imagine a door using this texture. The door will look like a complete mess. Think about a barn. A complete mess. A picture frame? Oh boy thats going to look odd. You guys need to go back and edit all of this.

I love it that you guys want to change the textures, and the terrain editor but this isn’t going so well. The grass, slate, and wood are looking like they need a complete redo. I know you guys put a lot of effort in these but it needs a lot of work.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a build I made in 100% studio.

1 Like

I think roblox should make different updates than just making the graphics better. I think rthro proves my point. The best games don’t rely on graphics, but more on gameplay.

Well great job to you! I could never make something that good.

2 Likes

Being honest, that is what actual wood looks like, and how it would look in real life. But I agree, it’d look weird in comparison to let’s say cartoony diamond plate or the overall ROBLOX cartoony style ( now it’s not anymore but TOGGLE MENU PLEASEEEE)

3 Likes

Yeah. Were all looking for a toggle menu now days.

The slate material is extremely cool, but also looks more like cobblestone than the cobblestone material does. I really like the texture, but it doesn’t fit the slate material. I would recommend using the texture on a different material.

3 Likes

Yeah, we definitely need some sort of material to create rocks, as the new slate does’t have that rough sheet of rock feel anymore. Builders will have to be creative and use other materials such as sand or use textures.

2 Likes

I completely agree, I think the new cobblestone (both the material texture and the terrain) isn’t as good as the previous one, which is why I think we should have a mix of the old and new materials, allowing for the best level of choice for developers

4 Likes

I’ve tried out the new materials and have to say that they are AMAZING!!
These textures look awesome and much better than before (except for cobblestone) and had quite some fun messing around with the new materials.
I believe that there is going to be a lot of potential for a lot of these new materials when they get around to being released.

One thing I really hate about this new update though is the jagged/spiky look in terrain materials, I think it looks kinda ugly and think it should me a smooth transition from let’s say asphalt to grass. It’d really help out a lot with the look.
Overall a great update.

The bricks line I think is because of the brick colors itself.

Edit: The ghosting bricks issue also seems to be present in the terrain version of the bricks.

Edit 2: I’ve found out that a lot of the new terrain materials, if not all of thew new ones experience this ghosting issue.

4 Likes