New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

The slate material is extremely cool, but also looks more like cobblestone than the cobblestone material does. I really like the texture, but it doesn’t fit the slate material. I would recommend using the texture on a different material.

3 Likes

Yeah, we definitely need some sort of material to create rocks, as the new slate does’t have that rough sheet of rock feel anymore. Builders will have to be creative and use other materials such as sand or use textures.

2 Likes

I completely agree, I think the new cobblestone (both the material texture and the terrain) isn’t as good as the previous one, which is why I think we should have a mix of the old and new materials, allowing for the best level of choice for developers

4 Likes

I’ve tried out the new materials and have to say that they are AMAZING!!
These textures look awesome and much better than before (except for cobblestone) and had quite some fun messing around with the new materials.
I believe that there is going to be a lot of potential for a lot of these new materials when they get around to being released.

One thing I really hate about this new update though is the jagged/spiky look in terrain materials, I think it looks kinda ugly and think it should me a smooth transition from let’s say asphalt to grass. It’d really help out a lot with the look.
Overall a great update.

The bricks line I think is because of the brick colors itself.

Edit: The ghosting bricks issue also seems to be present in the terrain version of the bricks.

Edit 2: I’ve found out that a lot of the new terrain materials, if not all of thew new ones experience this ghosting issue.

4 Likes

Grab the old textures here:

Problem fixed!

2 Likes

That’s just it though. They shouldn’t have to find a workaround. While some of the materials do need a retexture (i.e. cobblestone, fabric (not too much though), metal, ice, and plastic) not all of them do. At most slate should simply have new PBR maps, not a completely new texture.

2 Likes

The wood texture looks like the plastic wood that is on the walls in some parts of Disney World.

Luckily, we have the ability to request roblox staff to let us use the old textures natively, as that is what this thread is for.

hey roblox staff, do that .

4 Likes

This house exterior test build for my portfolio looks completely different compared to before:

3 Likes

It’s crazy to see how many people dislike this. At first I thought “this would be a great update, adding more quality and improving games a ton”. From what I have seen from people sharing their builds with the update, it doesn’t look great at all.

6 Likes

Are We Gonna Have Custom Terrain Textures?

1 Like

One thing to note is that when setting a part to the air material my studio crashes.

Also, is it just me, or does setting the diffuse and specular scale to 1 make everything look blue-ish?

1 Like

Depending on the skybox. If you have a blue skybox it turns everything more blue like how it does in real life. If your skybox is way too blue everything outside will be pretty blue. If the skybox is way to red everything outside would look way to red. The outdoor colour just depends on how the skybox is already coloured. It’s a lot more realistic and looks better unless your skybox is extremely blue or another colour.

2 Likes
Old Textures vs. New Textures
  • The old materials should have completely new textures
  • The old materials should have new textures that look close to their original textures
  • The old materials should not have new textures
  • The old materials should remain as they are
  • Some old materials should have new/redone textures and others should remain the same

0 voters

6 Likes

Personally I think the old textures should remain default while the new textures are something that is just in the materials tab, hear me out here.

Tons of games rely on those materials and if its forced upon us then those games won’t be what they were before. If you allow us to ease ourself and develop our builds using these textures over time instead of fully forcing them on us then that would reduce the amount of backlash roblox is getting over these materials.

I do also believe a lot of people dislike the new materials due to the fact most of them have these issues

Texture Ghosting
Forced Colors
Some materials look completely different on lower graphics compared to max

These are just my opinions and I’m not too experienced in material designing or whatever so Its not really my call here but those are my thoughts.

1 Like

well, as far as i know, no other game engine provides default materials to its users instead of the user providing them themselves.

2 Likes

lets say Epic decided that all games on Unreal 4 use cel shading now. Would that be acceptable?

4 Likes

His point is that Epic wouldn’t be able to do that, users on that have full customizability over the materials.

You are also missing the point, blue’s point is a scenario similar to this current one we are in, which is where devs have little control over what the default material textures of parts and terrain are, alike to Epic forcing a lighting change for all games on their platform. Both are destructive to how a lot of games would look on both platforms if both situations were to happen.

And referring to what @sp1980 posted, in this situation devs do not have much control over the default materials at all, so comparing a situation where users have complete control to a situation where users have little control is unfair at best. One of the only ways a dev would have control of material “textures” were if they were to try and emulate their own materials by coating parts in textures and doing so for every part in their game which would be very impractical and sacrifice performance that would be better spent on gameplay.
It just so happens that the default materials provided fill the role very well of being mainly neutral and being able to be used in a wide array of situations, from low poly to more realistic builds.
However with this update, with it having a lot of potential to be the next in line of amazing changes to the platform, it is crushed by overly realistic materials that would kill the aesthetics of low poly games, and very flat materials that should be more detailed killing the aesthetic of high detail games. This forced update is a mess of out of place PBR material changes that feature baked on colors and uncanny valley worthy textures that end up removing more developer creativity overall.

3 Likes