New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

While this is an improvement, it is still not perfect. First example:

1. Material: Glass

Even if I turn reflectance off,
    The transparency of this is 0.5, and you can’t see through it at all.
    However, 0.55 has the same effect as 0.1.

2. Material: WoodPlanks
    This should be able to fix this 4, 1, 2 brick.

3. Material: Fabric

Normally, I (And a lot of other developers) use Fabric for carpets. This doesn’t even look close to a carpet…
    Yes, this was improved from the last screenshot of this, but it is still not perfect.

4. Material: Grass
    I can’t really tell what this is…
    If it is grass, lt looks like someone put wood on it for a few years, then decided to pick it up a few years later, and paint the grass green.

Other than that, it is better! GG!

7 Likes

Strange request but for terrain would it be possible to implement a sort of material instance for the different materials? for example, one part of the map might call for brighter grass and another like a swamp might call for darker grass. Creating an instance of the grass material would allow multiple versions of it on the map.

Also, going to be honest, I preferred the more cartoony grass present in version 1.0 for a good chunk of my projects. The look of it was very nice, as was the blending with other terrain. Would it be possible to ship both as Cartoony and Realistic options for people to choose from? Other than that, the materials have come a long way and I really like how the update is shaping up!

1 Like

Anyways there is improvements on these new materials but here is some I dislike.

The brick material: Doesn’t this material look so off just by its look? The old bricks look alot smaller and more into detail than the new ones (which is how it should look like of course)

The Grass Material: By looking at it. It just give me uncomfort since I got way to used to the old grass.

The Rust Material: Looks alot more strange than the old one.

The Wood Material: Is it me or the grain it has is too noticeable? The old woodgrain was like ok in my opinion

The Woodplank Material: This looks ok but I really dislike on how the planks don’t have a width of 1 stud like the old one. Like please do anything with them.

The Fabric Material: I think this one speaks for itself. Like there is something very wrong with it.

Anyways this is like a request (probably requested by 20+ other people already) on the materials.

Please keep the old ones along with the new ones upon release or beta release. Developers or builders can have alot of creativity with these materials if both of them were kept along with each other.

Wait what happened to those material requests we made on the topic announcement. Maybe they’ll get added once there was enough feedback on the materials.

2 Likes

It would be nice if the grass looked more softer. It looks a bit rough. Heres how it looks like currently

Doesn’t look that much like grass/

Also corroded metal NEEDS a higher res texture and really tiny corrosion so it looks good on small parts.

Also for leafy grass use the same regular grass texture and just add leaves on it so it can blend well together and not look ugly because it looks so different. I like the new improvement to the brick texture, though I think the bricks needs to look more extruded out and rougher.

It would also be really nice if the concrete material didn’t look so wet. This doesn’t really look that good

Also the concrete material looks pretty repetitive.

The ground material looks a bit flat.

When some materials blend its a bit glitchy

Also the cobblestone on terrain is smaller then on parts, would be nice if it was bigger.

I like how the cobblestone is less rough but it looks a bit strange I don’t know why and I LOVE how cracked lava has a glow effect now but I think it would be nicer if it was a bit higher

But I don’t like how cobblestone blends to other materials, doesn’t seem realistic on how it does it with stuff like bricks and concrete.

Also not a big fan on how asphalt tiles now, kind of looks like a lot of noise.

Also THANK YOU for getting rid of the forced coloration!

But sand does look a bit like clay/wet. It looks a lot worse when there’s a huge area of sand.

Would also be better if the fabric material was more higher res

Also I like how the brick material looks now but it looks a bit too clean. Also I think it needs to look more rough and look a bit more extruded out.

And please make slate more rough, it’s too smooth

Also would be nice if the difference with wood planks and wood wasn’t so different.

Also there’s one thing I wanna tell you. I appreciate everything you’re doing currently. Even though there’s a lot of harsh criticism you’re still doing a great job and trying your best to improve them and I apricate that.

4 Likes

I don’t really have anything to say that other people haven’t already.
Even though you apparently intend on removing colours from the textures more, they are still a drastic difference from the existing materials, and while I’m sure while many of us suggest we want the new materials and old materials at the same time, I’m sure some reply about “Keeping the material list streamlined” is coming. I am sure having material names akin to brick colour names like “Polished Metal” and “Rough Metal” or hell even just “Classic Metal” for existing materials wouldn’t be some crime against keeping Roblox Studio user friendly.

It’s not just old games these textures would ruin, its styles of building that I’m sure many people want to continue using.

I absolutely love some of the new materials, and can’t wait to have terrain materials on parts, but if I am forced to choose between the existing materials I am used to and the new ones, you won’t like my choice.

It’s not as simple as saying whether existing styles look better or worse with the new materials, fact is they look different, there is no way you will ever be able to make it so the materials look better for everyone, and the simplest solution to that is let developers choose when and where they want to use the new materials, and when they want to use the old ones, preferably with both at once.

Below are a few examples of the same builds with new and old materials.

Sci-fi showcase

Office showcase

Platformer Castle Map

Platformer Lava Map

Platformer Temple Map

I might even be convinced to say some of the builds look better with new pictures, but that is not remotely the point, all of them look different.
Currently the worst offenders are Brick, Grass, Slate and Marble, though that’s potentially to do with the materials I favour in my builds. (And the red splotches on the wood)

Please do not take this as me being unappreciative of the new textures, but I think it would be best for everyone if we could use the existing, and new textures, simultaneously in the same games.

17 Likes

The quality of the terrains are amazing, however, some of them had changed so much in terms of style and this can affect the games that are currently there.

Not only this but many people do like the classic style too, so it would be better to have the old textures as an option just like the new ones and not force them into builds as it can ruin games appearances

2 Likes

Use Rock in place of slate. It’s closer to the old Slate.

1 Like

Where do i find it? do i have to go to properties?

1 Like

My point was more that I shouldn’t have go to back through all of my games and “refurbish” them all with new materials, and even then it wouldn’t be the same, and there is enough new materials here to justify separate enums for the existing ones.

5 Likes

I commended these textures but after extensive use, they just don’t cut it cheif. They don’t mix with my (and others) build styles.

Also…

Why does it look like the mower bag after my dad mows put through a trash compactor. This is god awful still.

I’d really love to see a game like ATF showcase the material change, because that’s a game that relies heavily on some of the most criticized materials here. @ChadTheCreator

6 Likes

Really recommend picking a new grass texture as everyone else has repeated. It is too cartoony and does not really work alongside the other textures. Here’s an example I liked from Substance Source. I would imagine Roblox would want something like this without leaves / etc and stylized a little bit more. The important thing is to preserve the the “noise” effect, so it doesn’t ever appear flat like current.

chrome_2021-03-24_21-04-05

14 Likes

Scroll up in the part material list. Should be 0Rock or something like that.

I fully agree that the materials should come as options. Even the cartoony grass from v1 of this should be an option. Roblox games are taking all sorts of art styles, and forcing new materials could really disrupt a developer’s aesthetic. There should be, for example: Brick(A), Brick(B), Grass (A), Grass (B), Grass (C). Developers could choose the material that best fits their artstyle. It would be much better.

2 Likes

It seems like it isn’t performing the best on my Mac Mini M1. It crashed instantly! That wasn’t the case with the other version. Baseplate loads, but local files are having issues it seems.

Thank you for reading our feedbacks and getting back to all of em! :purple_heart:

1 Like

I am using an M1 Mac Mini and I am not getting the same issue.

Plus yes, thanks for following us up with feedback and hopefully these materials will suit the future well :blue_heart:

Would it be possible to get a metal variant without these scratches? The new metal looks beautiful on cars but the scratches really take away from that “new car” look.

Metal gray vs smooth plastic gray:

I also noticed that it’s very difficult to achieve lighter colors without modifying lighting settings:

9 Likes

Not a big fan on the scratches on the metal because they sometimes look like hair. They sometimes look like little hairs. Also can the reflection on the metal, diamond pate, foil, and corroded metal be tuned down ALOT? Like if you make it white or other bright colour’s it doesn’t look white and looks more like the skybox because it’s WAY too reflective. Also please make metal look more brighter with lights. An issue with FIB3 on metal is that you had to make it very bright because it’s really dark. But with the new metal ITS EXTREMELY DARK

Same thing with diamond plate but it’s a lot brighter. And same thing with the parts where it isn’t corroded in corroded metal thought it’s not as bright.

Also the ice material has forced colouration

This on white by the way.

Also granite and fabric is VERY dark

No the brick colour isn’t set on grey but on white.

Also ground is also pretty dark and limestone is also pretty dark but not as bad as fabric or granite.

Also it would be nice if grass was a bit more brighter, same with asphalt.

Also it would be really nice if the water got a revamp aswell. It looks nice but it could look a lot better and more realistic. Right now water seems to be a pretty neglected feature which makes me sad because it could look so much better. Like if we had quality like this on water or better that would be FANTASTIC!

15 Likes

A water material for parts too, please! Smooth terrain is very hard to work with in some cases, and we have to resort to using glass for water instead.

14 Likes

I still feel like the metal material is too damn dark.

1 Like

Probably because it’s far more reflective than it once was. If you adjust specular to 0.75, it resembles old metal more.

Honestly, cobblestone should return to a more random and cobble feel.

From a distance, the arch patterns become incredibly noticeable. That part really needs to be removed, otherwise the tiling becomes very apparent from a distance.

6 Likes