New Terrain and Parts Materials Preview Build! Oh YES!

You’re not using the latest build (V1.3)
Corroded metal now looks like this:

2 Likes

oh, nice! I had no idea, thanks for letting me know.

2 Likes

That last photo looks photo realistic at first glance! Way to actually show off the good parts of these new materials!

3 Likes

These materials look so good! It’s like cartoony and realistic and PBR mixed! It’s gorgeous! But yes, as felipehellomods said, you need to use this properly and in a way it looks good.

And yeah, we need an option to choose between legacy and new materials! I can relate with you @A_SquaredAnimations, the last few photos look awfully realistic

Pretty cool seeing how 2009 was a blocky game with studs and not too much graphics, and now it’s growing close to unreal engine!

8 Likes

Please keep the legacy materials. These new materials are very nice, but it would go a long way toward saving developers a ton of work updating their games.

In my opinion you should have both sets of materials able to be used at the same time. Having variations of different materials would go a long way toward enriching user experiences. This could be accomplished by say having three types of slate, (legacy slate, the new slate, and cracked slate). All three of these would have their Enum.Material be read as Enum.Material.Slate, but a new Enum.MaterialType would be added to differentiate the materials (Enum.MaterialType.Legacy, Enum.MaterialType.Default, Enum.MaterialType.Cracked). I think some form of this would be the best solution for all materials, and I don’t believe this would break any scripts relying on material enums in games.

As for API dump, make it so that clicking on a material will open a little window that shows the different types of the selected material that you can choose from.

Also, I believe that all materials, part and terrain should be universal. A developer should have the option to use plastic as a terrain material or even neon as a terrain material.

Another thing: Allow developers the ability to paint terrain decoration like grass onto certain areas instead of it being enabled everywhere. This helps developers stylize their games, and would make it so we don’t need to use leafy grass over areas we don’t want terrain grass to generate.

Lastly, allowing developers the ability to not just change the color of a terrain material, but to specifically paint certain sections of the terrain a color would also be great. This would more easily allow developers the ability to make different biomes like a tan dry grass biome and a green grasslands biome without having to go through a hacky solution of either changing the terrain grass color when entering a biome which looks bad on a player’s end, or just substituting a different material entirely.

17 Likes

please just let us use the old textures and the new ones simultaneously. I'm begging you.

You don’t even need to have both the old and new on the list, you could like have a property for everything named “use legacy texture”

Bricks are too fat, but have potential. I personally don’t like the new grass, leafy grass or diamond plate. New slate isn’t really comparable to old slate, as its much smoother. Also, the original new slate in beta 1.0 with cracks in it has great potential too, so please give us that.

I also genuinely do hope yall have been cooking the material expansion as stated in the original announcement post.

16 Likes

Actually in this case, Im pretty sure giving people a choice would make everyone happy, given the feedback so far and basic logic.

they gave us a c h o i c e on what lighting system we get to use

7 Likes

I felt sharing these here would be useful to showcase what a lot of the people here have been stating:

Before / After

Before / After

Before / After

Before / After

As can be seen in all of the above, the new materials completely ruin the game aesthetic and would as such require making a completely new map.

I cannot stress enough how much damage making this a forced update would cause. Considering all my games are very affected by these changes, I can only imagine all the other developers and games around the platform.

11 Likes

Although the terrain materials are a good addition, the new part materials (specifically concrete) are dreadful for games which depend on the old part materials. They’re also quite ‘laggy’ which contradicts with the “Optimisation” aspects of games.

You must add an option to use one of them, not force the newer material upon all games.

4 Likes

The bricks height needs to have a lower height. It needs to be slim down I guess you could say. They’re too high and bricks for like houses and other stuff usually aren’t that high. Length is fine but the the height is a bit much. Also it needs to look more dirty/aged. It looks way too clean. And the bricks need more depth to it. Also the concrete looks too wet which makes it look very bad,

2 Likes

I highly doubt that. The old and new concrete use the same tech and have the same resolution have the exact same amount of space, and have the same file format. So they really shouldn’t be more laggy at all.

2 Likes

I do think some of these look alright in the new materials, but the last one especially is definitely not good. Something about the lighting and how it contrasts way more than it should.

I think the fact that this build in particular looks very similar in both materials is good, but at the same time, it’s really bad that the new ones still look worse in every single example.

1 Like

I think it is a good idea considering that materials such as grass are very cartoon

1 Like

unions drastically increase loading time

3 Likes

Imo they just need to be more slimmed down. Bricks aren’t really that high. And it’s for the better that they’re bigger because the old ones were stupidly small.

2 Likes

Yeah true, they should be slimmed down, and we all got used to the mini bricks so we aren’t used to this one. But yeah, I agree with you @ExIysian

1 Like

Having several parts will do that too, and unions are literally just combined parts with useless faces removed. Also, unions allow you to customize the collision fidelity of them, which is very useful and has the potential to boost performance. (ok this was wrong)

Sadly not - I’ve spoken to zeuxcg on the matter, unions are always slower, even if there are additional faces removed. This is due to the intrinsic fact that parts are very heavily optimized due to them being directly baked into the engine, allowing for calculations for networking, replication, and most importantly of all, collision, to be way faster - collision for default parts are faster than unions and meshes even when their collision mode is set to Box.

1 Like

I once unioned some parts together and it added more faces then it got rid of.

2 Likes

I don’t really know if I should like the Texture update.
While for me, there are luckily no big or game breaking changes, some of the details get lost and some of the Textures just don’t fit anymore in the general theme of the Game.

Still I hope Roblox doesn’t make it a forced update, as I can imagine, that many Devs will have way more serve problems with such a texture change.

Example 1

Old:

New:
Funny enough, with the Preview Versions, walls look in general even less detailed then before.

Example 2

Old:

New:
The same problem can be seen in other places. Here the floor as well as the stairs look with the Preview Version less detailed and don’t fit that much in place anymore.

In general, I would say that for people who build more in the natural building style, this update would probably bring more advantages than disadvantages. Some textures might be generally worse or have less detail, but many of the new textures look really nice.

6 Likes