(Needs Maintainer) Nexus VR Character Model [Open Source]

Nexus VR Character Model does not do anything special with tools or the Roblox backpack. From what I can tell, the default right trigger to activate tools stopped functioning abruptly a few weeks ago and is only affecting Nexus VR Character Model. There is probably something required by Roblox to activate this functionality, but I haven’t looked into it. Either way, I am not planning on releasing a workaround for this.

Edit: Someone figured out why and DMed me about this. I have resolved this issue.

1 Like

Seems interesting! I have a headset of my own so I can try implement this into my game to work with my other scripts.

If you remember me by my stupid rant I made a few months ago, I’m incredibly sorry about that, but this is different.

You should make the new physics update an actual option, instead of forcing it on every Nexus VR user. I personally dislike it as crouching lunges me forward, and any kind of collisions will force me to turn and move in ways I dislike.

I understand that it’s a work in progress, but it feels horrible…

This was the trade-off of me using to Roblox’s character physics, which solved dozens of problems at once that don’t have workarounds. The problem of turning when colliding with walls is because of Roblox’s physics that I pretty much have to live with. In V.2.0 and older, there was only basic physics like falling, with teleporting through floors being a common problem and no collisions. I have received hundreds of messages to change this, and making this an option doubles the testing requirements, which is already doubled from having teleport and smooth locomotion. If I added R6 as well as an option, this is another doubling. I am not ready to take on this requirement.

All I can really suggest is that if there is something you don’t like, make a pull request so everyone can get the changes. Long term, I don’t want to be the maintainer of this project: my VR development is practically done and I no longer find this project fun.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m unsure if anyone pointed this out or if you know about it but recently Nexus VR hasn’t been working properly in games that use it. Upon loading in, I’m just frozen in place as if it’s the default Roblox VR, and I’m unable to move.

Not sure if it’s a fault on your side or if Roblox messed something up, but I just thought I’d mention it.
It was working properly yesterday.

Cheers.

Roblox did change something and it was intended. Servers that went up after ~4:00 PM have a fix for this.

1 Like

I’ve been using the Valve Index with NexusVR and it seems like everything works really well out of the box! Would we binding and controls mess with NVR?

You will need to test that for yourself in your game. Nexus VR Character Model doesn’t use any controls that wouldn’t normally be taken up by movement.

I love this model! VR people can finally play my game. But is there any way i could stop them from noclipping trough the walls?

V.2.1 adds collisions using Roblox’s Humanoid physics. This shouldn’t really be possible with how this was possible in V.2.0 of just walking through walls.

2 Likes

Is there any update on your character not turning every time you move your joystick left or right

No one has mentioned this was a problem? I haven’t had issues in testing, so nothing was changed since it was implemented.

When using the quest 2 controller snap turning doesn’t always work using Nexus

That may be a quirk of the Oculus Quest 2 that I am unable to test for. I currently have access to an Oculus Rift S and Microsoft Mixed Reality, but don’t have a way to get access to that headset to test. As far as I know, the VR lab at my university doesn’t have that headset, and I wouldn’t be able to get access for another 4-5 months either way.

I have a quest 2, I can help you test it. Also, how do you equip tools with this?

Use the bumpers on your controllers to handle tools. This is the default for any type of controller for the backpack, and I don’t modify the backpack.

I figured this out yesterday thanks for letting me know anyways.

Is it possible to give the hands physics and allow them to pick up items that are unanchored? Other than using tools, which doesn’t work for my game. I’m trying to make pickup-able blocks that you can build into bases.

Picking up items was asked earlier. It is out of the scope of the project.

the quest 2 should work similar to rift