(Needs Maintainer) Nexus VR Character Model [Open Source]

Is there any way I could add objects that people can pick up, sword etc, or make the hands be able to punch?

I do not provide any native features for that. You need to implement that yourself.

I am going to try it in a different game. A friend and I both had a problem where we could bring up chat but not actually type anything for example.

Awesome, thanks a lot. Will surly use.

1 Like

In order to use the keyboard when you open chat from the Nexus menu, you have to hide the Roblox UI as well as close the Nexus Menu. Then use the ‘a’ button (on Oculus controllers) to type out your message.

Hey quick question how do you make it so you go to the setting you made in vr? (for quest 2)

Already answered a few posts above.

how do you download this??I need to know

The link is in the original post.
https://www.roblox.com/library/1547146240/Nexus-VR-Character-Model

While talking to another developer about some of the current flaws in Nexus VR Character Model that resulted in them having to use a modified version, I came up with a new idea that fundamentally changes how the character controllers work. The old version would anchor the player and move the player, keeping track of a center position and move around that. This worked, but became complicated to add any sort of physics, such as supporting seats, jumping, falling, or collisions. The new version relies mostly on Roblox’s Humanoid physics and moves the character based on the changes in the inputs (for the most part). The existing code is now tagged as V.2.0.1, and this new version will be V.2.1.0 because it has some behavior changes. The change list at the time of posting includes, with the major incompatibilities in bold:

• Changed characters from being anchored to unanchored.
    • The server now sees the character’s position as it changes.
    • Touched events now work as expected.
    • Smooth locomotion now has proper collisions. Teleport locomotion has a bit as well, but more for trying to move your head into parts.
  • Snapping to the ground has been removed. Jumping and falling are now default. Movement.UseFallingSimulation now has no effect.
  • Added support for vehicle seats.
    • Controller vehicle seats in VR now works as expected.
    • Teleporting from the left controller is disabled while in a vehicle seat since it is used for controlling.
  • Added a None movement type for when you want to update the character but don’t want any controls. This is intended for stationary games, like Self-Driving Simulator.
  • Keyboard inputs now work in smooth locomotion.
  • Jumping is now available with the A button in teleport locomotion. Does not work on touchpad controllers, like the HTC Vive.
  • Snap-turning is now available with the right thumbstick in smooth locomotion. Does not work on touchpad controllers, like the HTC Vive.
  • Added option to disable the menu gesture. The new loader will have a setting named MenuToggleGestureActive under Menu (new section), which will default to true. If it is undefined, like pre-V.2.1.0 games, it will default to true.

I have rolled out the changes to some of my small games and will look into integrating with Self-Driving Simulator to clean up the codebase and prepare for voice chat. If you want to try the beta version in your existing game before this is released, you can enable it by adding _G.UseNexusVRCharacterModelBeta = true somewhere in the loader. For example:

--[[
TheNexusAvenger

Loads Nexus VR Character Model.
GitHub: TheNexusAvenger/Nexus-VR-Character-Model
--]]

_G.UseNexusVRCharacterModelBeta = true --Enable the Nexus VR Character Model Beta (V.2.1.0)
local Configuration = {
    Appearance = {

If you find problems or have other features you want to see, please reply to this or post on GitHub. Make sure you specify this is the beta version since it behaves a bit differently.

5 Likes

Thanks Nexus, this update has been quite a good one! Just to clarify, I am using the Beta.
An issue with it though is that, in the picture the character doesn’t stay anchored to the vehicle seat very well, you can drift off the seat like in the image below. The cause of the picture is because i put my headset down but normal driving it does slip around.
Also when you first sit on the seat, the camera may be positioned rotated to the left or right a bit, I think it depends where you’re looking when you first sit on the seat.
Again, I am very grateful for your development on this feature rich and great product.
driving

What was going on to get to this image? Did this instantly happen, or did you have to do something for a long period of time, like driving? And, how far away are you from the seat? You do have some freedom of movement when in VR, but you shouldn’t go further than you can walk in real life.

I’m staying in the same place in real life. It replicate this it you just need to jolt the vehicle (like a bumpy terrain path) which will move the character away from the seat however it still acts as if I’m still in the seat.

1 Like

I can confirm this. I see why the problem exists, but it will take some time for me to create a solution. My hope is it will go up sometime today.

1 Like

There have been a number of crash issues from the latest model. In every game that has Nexus VR, Roblox randomly crashes for me (this includes Club Iris, Vibe NYC, Club Tesla, Self Driving Sim…). I’ve started noticing this 2 updates before, but I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue. I’m using an Oculus CV1, GTX 1080, and overall I have a good pc to run VR on. Hopefully this can get resolved soon :slight_smile:

That isn’t a lot of information to go off of. I am thinking this is a problem with your system because I have seen no significant reports of crashing in VR, and Self Driving Simulator doesn’t even use Nexus VR Character Model. If you are getting the popup saying Roblox has crashed, then that is up to Roblox to resolve because that should not happen.

1 Like

Version 2.1.0 is really close to releasing with the improvements described before. I am monitoring a few games with the beta, and hope to release in a few days.
And as a bonus - demo video with driving a (mostly) free model car!

2 Likes

Do you think there will ever be Valve Index support, or is this because Roblox’s side doesn’t allow it.
I doubt finger tracking would work, it’s just, it’s very hard to use the Index in Roblox (Probably because it doesn’t support it natively)

Covered this earlier in the thread to a degree:

1 Like

V.2.1.0, the update to make Smooth Locomotion and VehicleSeats feature complete, is live to everyone using V2!

Changelog mirror:

To existing driving game developers: your move to add VR support to your games. It is a VR niche that doesn’t seem to have been filled yet.

4 Likes