Non-existent accounts still retain username

The topic of unused usernames has come up several times already, but I want to bring it back with a twist. It is hard to find a high quality username that hasn’t been taken by an alt, an inactive user, or someone overusing the username change feature. This we already now.

But I just found something out that makes this even worse. You can’t even take the username of an account that literally no longer exists. I wanted to see if I could change my username from “XenderSquared” to “Xender”. (My original and previous username was “xender2”.) I am connected to this original xender account but it wasn’t mine. I am the owner of a group that this user used to own, and that’s where a shout by the user exist. If you click the username, you get sent to a 404 error page. I’m assuming this means the account has been completely wiped.

There should be no reason why I can’t use this username.
I know to many this will seem trivial, but many others will understand the value of personal branding. I have always been known as xender, “2” and “squared” only exists because I can’t claim this username.

I certainly don’t want anyone bending over backwards just for me (some random nobody), but I just want to know if this could be done for me or if it’s set in stone and can not ever be changed.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 1 minute. New replies are no longer allowed.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Every username is taken