Non-sequential Asset ID Generation Coming Soon

There’s a granular script permissions system coming down the pipe soon which will give us more room to mitigate security / safety concerns and potentially open things up. Check back after that comes out.

3 Likes

@BackspaceRGB @NobleReign @xChris_vC @metatablecatmaid @mohas191 @completelyhazel @Rocky28447 @Stratiz @xyrafrost

Just doing a quick @ of the creators who expressed concern over the decal id translation trick no longer being possible to let you know that we’ve provided a solution above.

7 Likes

Thank you very much for listening to our concerns and delivering a reliable solution! I really appreciate it :heart:

1 Like

Huge change. Thank you guys for listening to feedback :heart:

2 Likes

YEAHHH thank you!! that satisfies my only concern with this update
thank you for listening to feedback and delivering an alternative so quickly, this made my day :blue_heart:

1 Like

Again please don’t launch this, this is such a stupid update damn.

Makes leaks harder and image imports much faster
I see no reason not to.
Last time it took my plugin around 5 to 10 seconds to convert a decal to an image id. Now it takes only like 150ms, including the extra third party code

3 Likes

It’s starting to roll out. I already have it

I don’t understand why you are so worried about it, but to get ID images you need to download decal instance and open it with editor. And here we go, id of the image. U can also use toolbox to add it in game

Or yeh, u can use extensions on your browser to get it

Problem of DecalIds was with games which allow users to put images on pictures and etc with scripts. Grabbing decalId with Studio wasn’t problem.

I mean, it’s not the problem, u can make API to do that, it’s easy

We are really looking forward to this change. Are there any updates for when this will be deployed?

Non-sequential assetId generation has actually already started for a small percentage of assets but we’re proceeding with the rollout gradually and carefully given how many Roblox systems interact with assetIds.

Exactly how long the rollout takes will depend on whether anything breaks.

5 Likes

Can we get an estimate on when it can be fully rolled out? Or maybe just how many users and groups currently have it?

Thanks

Hi,
We’ve fully rollout our change around today’s noon, the IDs for the new assets creation should follow new pattern now.

Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! This is quite useful, and I’ve really been looking forward to this. Amazing idea guys!

Cheers!

Sadly it did not help against asset leaks. Users are still able to see assets uploaded and leak them somehow. :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

Maybe I can try to help with some understanding here,

This randomized Asset IDs, which I am sure you have seen when uploading assets.

They might have found a bypass which uses a separate api for “scanning” or something to get asset ids, or something related with knowing this specific asset is located in a place.

I’d like to note, this wasn’t made to fully patch, it was made to be an attempt at a solution but also lowering network traffic.

Sorry this is happening to you.

TL;DR They maybe have other means, but this wasn’t an attempt to fully patch leaking rather than asset privacy which is mainly targeted at stopping leaking.

I can see why this was done, but oh my is it going to take some getting used to.
It’s weird seeing these numbers in the 100000s!
After so long of seeing them go up 1 by 1.
Going to miss you.