Notched Screen Support - FULL RELEASE

Hi, thanks for your interest!

Unfortunately I don’t have any updates on the release timeline right now, however I think I should have some updates for you in the next 1-2 weeks!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the question!

Yes, iPhone 14 has notched screen support on the real device even though this doesn’t appear as an emulation device option in the Roblox Studio Device Emulator. The iPhone X device has the closest notch geometry to iPhone 14 if you want a similar-looking notch. iPhone 14 Pro is also a device option.

We will eventually allow editing the safe area dimensions so you can create a custom emulation device with a custom safe area, but this isn’t supported currently.

2 Likes

FullScreenExtension doesn’t work when Tweening with UIScale

Hi, could you please share a repro file or video showing the issue?

In your example I’m guessing you would like the grey background frame to be full-screen correct?

The grey frame isn’t currently getting extended because it doesn’t cover the entire Device Safe Area (the area under the top bar is uncovered):

Also fullscreen extension might not be the best option if you want to tween a frame to fullscreen, because there will be a “popping” artifact when the frame gets extended. For a smoother transition effect, you could consider setting ScreenGui.ScreenInsets=None and then tweening the frame’s Size to Size=UDim2.fromScale(1, 1).

Hey @stadium_parkour2, do you have any updates now?

Hey @stadium_parkour2 the iPhone 14 pro emulator doesn’t seem to show up on the latest version of roblox studio using windows 11 pro any tips on how to get fully updated? (If updating is the issue).

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Hi, sorry I don’t have any updates yet. I’ll post here when I do!

Hi, the new emulation devices only show up if you have enabled the Notched Screen Support beta. Can you check if you have enabled this feature?

Is this out yet? Kejdhfhdhdhfhfhehfhghejdjchsjajsjgjdjwoehrucnsjwjdhc

It’s still in Beta, it’s only out for testing it on your own game UI. When playing on Mobile it won’t have the notched screen yet.

1 Like

i had that checked off but then i unchecked and rechecked it again and it worked

Thanks!

1 Like

Can’t wait for this cool feature to be out, but question, is this beta feature abandoned or nah?

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your question!

We are doing more testing to make sure we don’t negatively affect the player experience for any games with this change enabled. Unfortunately this is taking a while, but we will keep you posted with updates!

2 Likes

Hello,

So I recently started receiving screenshots from some of the mobile players of my game Harbor Havoc where they were showing the overhead indicators for players in-game being shifted slightly off to the side.

Example Screenshot

It was happening for only a few people, so I worked with them 1:1 and tried your example code for “getting the device’s safe area inset sizes” and ended up getting a positive result for the affected users.

So now I’m getting ready to fix this in production and I can’t help but feel like the “Create 2 ScreenGui’s and Immediately Delete Them” approach is a bit hacky.

Are there plans for a more rigid way of getting the hardware safe area insets?

1 Like

Hi, thanks for reporting these issues!

We are currently running an A/B test for some users as part of the notch support rollout. This test includes these changes:

• The camera field of view (FOV) is centered around the device’s Fullscreen area (includes notch area):
  • Notch area is still covered by a black bar (same as current production)
  • Device safe insets are added on the notched side of the screen, but not the opposite side (note this is in contrast to the diagram which shows symmetric insets).

Currently on production, the camera FOV is centered around the Device Safe Area.

This change shouldn’t impact any games that use the Camera APIs for 2D/3D projection/unprojection, including Camera:WorldToScreenpoint and Camera:WorldToViewportPoint. Those functions take into account the device safe area insets.
Also, BillboardGuis should be positioned correctly even with safe area insets.

However, if a game calculates 2D/3D projections manually, that calculation would need to also take into account the device safe area insets (even if asymmetrical).

By any chance is your game using WorldToScreenPoint/WorldToViewportPoint to calculate the position of the overhead indicators? If so, then there could be a bug on our end causing the overhead indicators to be placed incorrectly.

Thanks for the feedback! Could you please share a little more about your usecase for needing the specific safe inset sizes?

For simple usecases, you could make an overhead indicator using one of these ways:

• BillboardGui with AlwaysOnTop=true
  • ScreenGui with GuiObject positioned using Camera:WorldToScreenPoint/WorldToViewportPoint

These options allow creation of an overhead indicator without needing to keep track of safe area inset sizes. Would any of these options work for your game?
Here is a demo place showing the options: BillboardGui position test - Roblox

2 Likes

The camera FOV adjustment seems like a sudden, negative change. The rest of the changes for notched screens seem pretty smooth and don’t require much developer intervention, but this FOV change impacts all games which ran under the long-standing expectation that the character view and the 2D UI space would both be centered and aligned properly.

Even if this change doesn’t outright break anything, this is still a bad change for players. Normally in our game, the crosshair (which is on the 2D UI at 0.5 X position) is straight ahead of you, so you can kick the ball fully straight - but now it’s off-center, so all the shots you were familiar with taking will now be slightly off. It doesn’t feel great that this change is being served to players with no warning.

Beyond that, it just feels really gross that the game’s entire UI is now off-center compared to where the character actually is.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback on this!

The goal of the current A/B test is to gather data on how game performance is affected by enabling notch support (because more pixels are rendered under the notch). We aren’t currently planning on releasing asymmetrical safe insets, which would lead to the misalignment issues you mentioned.

We are still planning on releasing the symmetrical safe insets that are detailed in the original post. With the symmetrical insets, the center of the 3D viewport remains aligned with the center of 2D UI space.

3 Likes

for fullscreen iPhones I was thinking maybe the UI doesn’t reach the bottom in landscape mode to account for the iPhones “bar” thing’s massive hitbox

portrait mode is fine