Occasional long "SettingsHub" spikes

Thanks for the info about print causing this, it was really helpful when looking into this.

So it turns out this isn’t actually caused by the SettingsHub at all, it’s caused by the Developer Console module which is required by the SettingsHub script. The main problem is that the developer console re-draws the output log when not on screen, a secondary problem is that this seems overly slow (it causes noticeable lag when outputting 10 messages in one frame).

I know that there is a developer console re-write coming up soon so I made the minimally invasive fix of just not re-drawing the output log when the developer console isn’t visible.

Here is the pull request, hopefully @spotco or @24RightAngles could look into merging this or committing a similar change internally.

3 Likes

Im getting very ocassional long settingshub spikes, even without ever opening the dev console for my session

I thought the dev console was written so that it didnt start running until the first time the user presses F9 but that doesnt seem to be the case from what Im seeing.

I think only users with edit access are getting this spike from what I can tell

2 Likes

Looks like the fix shipped but it hasn’t been turned on. I’ll look into it.

3 Likes

I’m having this same problem right now and it’s really becoming an issue for me

Bumping. This is still an issue :frowning:

Each tab in the dev console was designed to only start up once the tab is clicked. I’m not sure what happened since I redid it up years ago. It causes so much lag.

2 Likes

Moment of appreciation for the developer console. What did we do before? Dark times…

What is SettingsHub and why does it lag my game? As you can see render and physics are done extremely quickly in this screen cap, but the SettingsHub is not ideal at all.

My game is extremely volatile to lag spikes, causing massive problems for gameplay. I’m using PGS and using rotating objects BodyGyro and BodyPosition

Edit: added picture

4 Likes

This is also happening to my game Lab Experiment :confused:

Maybe this issue? Another related thread.

I’m dealing with this same issue, SettingsHub is routinely causing long frames at Ultimate Driving.

This is the worst

Edit new pic:

MP dump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E_jdbw75UMLlk-OXquVOd8dbR-pPYNQS/view?usp=sharing

Everything underneath the massive SettingsHub block is indexes and newindexes for a ton of Text/TextBounds/TextWrapped properties.

I have no idea exactly what triggers it to happen but it’s terrible.

2 Likes

It’s a pattern of several repeating operations:

All in a TextLabel

• newindex TextWrapped
  • newindex Size
  • newindex TextColor3
  • newindex Text
  • index TextBounds
  • newindex Size
  • newindex Position
    Repeat

The same just happened for me. I launched my game from the website and ran around for a bit. I’m not sure what triggered it, but a few minutes in I suddenly started getting lag spikes. I haven’t been able to reproduce.

Game: Bloxel - Roblox

A CoreGui probably has a circular dependency between TextSize and Size.

I found the cause of this I believe a while ago and I thought I posted it here but I guess not. The issue happens once you’ve reached a certain amount of prints to the server and as such only causes lag on the developers client. The longer the game is open, the worse the issue will become

Once I realized this was my issue I just went and cleaned up my prints to output and it went away

1 Like

This is still happening.

My best guess is that at a certain number of prints the developer console will just shift up the text to the next line instead of shifting the guis themselves.

This appears to be very bad for performance because setting the Text and other gui properties of hundreds of guis is not a fast operation – and it’s happening every time a print is made. This can happen not just with server output but with client output too, as seen in the linked thread.

I’m still getting this in my game.

For now you can just reduce the number of "print()"s you call in your game and it will fix the lag. Good thing too is that if all of your prints are being called from the server, you’re the only person who will experience that lag anyways

I actually don’t have any prints, it’s a result of unhandled errors (which I’m fixing). But yeah, thanks for the tip.