Ocean Waves (“Rebelling” the use of terrain water)

I really like it. The way the boat goes over the waves reminds me of Sea of Thieves

P.L. here whoop lol

3 Likes

Things i would consider adding are, (if your planning to impliment swimming) is change either camera setting or lighting settings to colour the screen blue depending on if the camera is colliding with the mesh or not, you could even increase the darkness as the camera got lower, making the sea get darker and spookier as you get towards the bottom.

2 Likes

Definitely! I already have something like this planned, though im early-ish in the development process.

This is probably the best way to generate a texture btw, by using substance designer.
so…
+Turn your meshes into heightmaps,
+then create a substance in substance designer that will automatically colour the heightmaps
+Probs want normals and occlusions to be generated too - ready for roblox updates
+export the maps.

1 Like

Wait, is that in Studio? Or Blender?

alright, thanks! I’ll try it, and see if I run into any issues.

he imported it from blender and gave it a water animation

1 Like

it in a program called “Substance designer”

I added a Normal and Roughness map from blender using a wave mesh with 500K tris. This looks gorgeous, and it gave realistic reflections!

The best part with adding a Normal map is that I realized even the waves that are 200 tris look just as stunning, meaning I don’t need to use high poly waves!

5 Likes

These waves look great. I wonder if the incoming mesh deformation features will make it possible to animate them to create a real alternative to terrain water, which is currently full of limitations.

Wow, this is absolutely spectacular! I hope this project ends up being added natively to studio someday!
I would love to see this fully fleshed out with the swimming and drowning mechanics you were talking about. Are you going to release this as a model or plugin or…? Even just a tutorial series would be awesome. Keep up the great work!

Looks amazing and very detailed!

1 Like

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it. Take care!

Will the working waves become a free model soon?