Ok i was dumb back then chill

Yea, I usually like to use tutorials to script, then once i have seen all the code, i delete it and re write it but in my own version. Thats how i learned. I Also used youtube tutorials on lua.

Sure, go ahead and watch his videos as finding a programmer that is also a good teacher is hard. However, don’t use only 1 source to learn. This can make you get used to one style of writing code rather then doing it many other ways. I compare it to citing sources for any assignment, you can’t use only one source.

1 Like

I used to look at other people’s code when I was learning by taking free models and figuring out how they worked. Then I’d recreate things that I needed by following how they’d done it.

1 Like

I only learned from YouTube. And it’s great. But everyone learns in their own way.

2 Likes

Yikes, okay.

I think that if you want to learn scripting from YouTube, you should look for videos that teach and build on previously taught concepts. A good example is ROBLOX’s scripting playlist on YouTube available here (I do not know how updated this is). If you really want to learn, my best resource for scripting was the ROBLOX developer hub. As for my interests with Lua, and wanting to know more of its structure outside of the ROBLOX DataModel, I did use the Lua website.

@ClockworkSquirrel Same. I think my first free model was some sort of tool giver from a click detector. I totally feel you.

Hope this helped…

1 Like

This entire thread is a mess. :pensive:

I suggest trying different ways of learning LUA, and whatever sticks out for you the most, go for it.

Do what suits you, and work your way up from there. That’s all I have to say.

I hope this helps. :smile:

4 Likes

Ok! Also in your opinion whose tutorials are better? TheDevKing or AlvinBlox?

You seem so passive aggressive to a lot of these youtubers. What did they do to you?
On a side note, while I am a firm believer in good and optimized code, some people just want to make fun and engaging games as a hobby and not sweat it out optimizing everything to the peak of existence. These youtubers, although not perfect, allow anyone to learn in an engaging and fun way to make a cool game as their first game :slight_smile: . And if these hobbyists want to expand their knowledge in coding and branch out, they will be able to do so with more ease as the fundamentals have been given to them through these youtubers.

2 Likes

It is nothing personal.

These youtubers should at the very least provide good code so the viewers can learn good practices.

Spoon feeding ~= learning

Yeah through using something more reliable and explains better like the lua pil and developer hub.

1 Like

I believe these youtubers should be treated as a gateway to learning code. I don’t think any person with a great deal of knowledge about programming would care to learn from these guys. These youtubers bring people into development which is a great thing. I don’t think a kid wanting to learn how to program would continue trying to learn when you throw stacks of books and boring papers at him. He will just quit. At least these youtubers allow kids to be introduced into development without them wanting to quit in a day. I do believe that they should teach better coding practices, but hey at least they are providing some sort of resource to new learners.

2 Likes

Books aren’t “boring”. They are generally approved by experts in that field which makes them more reliable. I would rather read a “boring” book and get taught proper practices, terms, etc than watch a video of someone not having fully mastered the topic they are teaching.

Please provide a source that says newer developers quit in a day unless they learned from youtube. Because I didn’t quit in a day when I learned through other resources.

1 Like

You seem to attempt to group people that post in the comments “anybody got the code, plz paste here i need to copy” with the people that are actually trying to learn. These people are bringing more people to the development side of the platform which isn’t bad at all. This can be a great way for newer developers to get immersed in the development side. Think about it like this. Timmy is someone who has recently got into the development side of the platform due to Jailbreak. Timmy looks at the resources he could use to get into development. He has 2 options, read on developer.roblox.com or watch AlvinBLOX’s new video about how to make a piggy game. Which one seems more appealing? Obviously, option B. As luffy said, this appeals as a gateway for newer developers. These people put hours and hours into their videos and it seems like you are treating them like they put nothing in at all. You should be appreciative of these people as they are bringing people over to this side of the platform, which leads people to create the games that make this platform what it is. How many DMS do you think AlvinBLOX gets that are pretty much “You taught me how to script!”. Before you comment about bad practices, think about it on a less serious note. You’re coming off as very hostile towards these people. Some people learn from youtube videos better then others, and some will learn better through reading. If you want this platform to keep growing, as I would assume you would want it to, then you need to realise that these people are contributing. They can watch 1 AlvinBLOX video to give them an idea of what development entails, and then they can go onto bigger and better things using other sources.

4 Likes

If you really think youtubers aren’t a good way to learn. Why don’t you keep your opinion to yourself? Everyone has their own ways to learn. I really see it you being disrespectful to the youtubers. They really aren’t that bad dude.

“Spoon feeding”

@pail

Make sure to read the entire topic! Because I clearly said

Your reply is basically all about alvinblox so I don’t want to pick on a single youtube specifically therefore I won’t.

@Trilexter0_0

Your title and its contents were literally asking if it’s worth watching peaspod in 2020. So you don’t want people to tell you not to? Then why waste time making this thread.

It is not disrespectful. No youtuber is 100% perfect and I have the right to constructively say some of the flaws in their videos.

4 Likes

All I have to say to all of you who think YouTube is not a good place to learn is that, you’re thinking wrong instead It depends on you, how you learn. But it also doesn’t mean you will be able to find a video on YouTube to help you with everything or every video might not be properly taught, so its important that you utilize your resources like the Dev Hub, Forums. lua.org is also a good place to learn, but as for Roblox, Roblox has their own Documentation, so its pretty much not needed unless and until you tend to create complex functions or similar.

Also, I should tell you that this is not a place to argue between people, instead try to bring out a solution instead of wasting your time in argues.

Sorry if my english is hard to understand sometimes.

2 Likes

First of all, that question is about peaspod, I never asked if youtubers are a good recourse or not. This question is for those who have watched a lot of scripting youtubers. You are not even answering the question, you are just saying youtubers are a bad resource which is absolutely false.

It is answering the question, you asked if peaspod was worth watching, @sjr04 said no due to bad practices, inaccuracy and deprecated methods. By your reply, you basically answered your own question.

2 Likes

I am. If I am saying they are not very good then I am saying “no”. And it is not false. You really can’t expect to learn from it. You can get ideas on how to achieve something but learning? Not really.

2 Likes

I see your points now. I skimmed through the topic and for the most part, I totally agree!

4 Likes

Depends, personally. I’ve learned everything from him since January and I think his content is amazing! Although, his content is outdated and a better pick would either be TheDevKing, AlvinBlox, or Sheasu (AlvinBlox: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1R0TBvgM7gj0rwTYULmSA & Sheasu: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPvTErgjYvoT7IOnNA6PGFg)

To add on, Peaspod and other youtubers just put you in right direction and show you the basics, but everything else you can learn from experience and just experimenting with different scripts and ideas.

4 Likes