Open Cloud - Publishing Your Places with API Keys is Now Live!

Is there support for publishing currently saved places or support for publishing a place to another place like you could normally do inside of roblox studio?

This is a very exiting a update for professionals working on the platform. These are the kind of features we’re going to need to efficiently manage our experiences, I didn’t know this was even in the works so very happy about this!

With your mention of GitHub actions I’d love some proper support for a workflow which actually uses GitHub as many people are used to working externally to studio on large-scale projects.

1 Like

Game:

• get how many active players
  • get server list and players in each server
    - get how many likes / favorites
  • get how many players has won a badge

Group:

• get how many players are in a group
  • ability to rank players in a group
2 Likes

I don’t understand how it would “suck”

you can google your IP address

am I misunderstanding something?

You don’t really need to figure out what your external IP is to use this feature. Though it’s recommended you do lock this to some sort of IP for added security.

The idea here is if you’re hosting a server for your external services then you’ll have the option from that host provider to get your own IP Address. At which point as long as you maintain the services from them then the IP Address that you booked with your hosting package will only be available to you. Thus you can host your services there and include the IP Address in the Open Cloud as added security.

As far as endpoints go. It would be really cool if we could finally get something similar to webhooks or websocket that would allow us communication with Roblox Servers. Utilization for this could be useful for anything involving communication with a Roblox Server either passing data, or changing the state of the game world in it.

@RuizuKun_Dev well yeah, you’re not really meant to be hosting things from your house. To do so you’d have to check with your ISP to see if you’d need a business package or not as well as if they offer static IP Addresses if you would be able to do so.

This seems very interesting. I’m looking forward to seeing what people do with this new system.

Can an API for using same datastores for different games come? A lot of people need that as they want different games rather than places to get more attraction but they don’t want to reset data and gamepass system…

cool but why the site is not clean

As I said to my project manager…
holy.
guacamole.

This is extremely exciting!

If this means that we will be able to interact with DataStore data using API keys, this is potentially huge news for some of our projects! I’m beyond excited for this, not just because we can finally get proper interactions with web services, but, also because of all of the new services and projects this potentially opens up.

I do have a big question… Does this mean that Roblox games can use a Roblox proxy in conjunction with an API key to upload or update assets, for example, the source of scripts? And, could this potentially open the door for API requests being made directly within the Roblox engine somehow? The prior is a common technique to load LocalScript source code which has been used in a few games like Void SB but it requires a lot of jank to perform. If this API key system extends to lots of APIs and allows us to safely make authorized requests from inside of Roblox this’ll be a game changer! (Literally)

1 Like

What I meant by this was Rojo. Once I build the project file, it could be immediately published from my machine but with an API token instead of using an alt’s ROBLOSECURITY id.

Do you guys have any plans to expose the ability to use studio with these API keys? Most people who use CI/CD use run-in-roblox to run their unit tests prior to publishing or merging, but this requires you to maintain a .ROBLOSECURITY token.

1 Like

Great feature, but one question… is there any quota on the overall api keys?

Can you explain more about the use case here? Do you want to build a game that can develop new games?

I got error code 411 but it’s not on the docs…

I would love a message api (the message feature on site) so I could have an auto reply to my messages saying to ‘wait patiently for a response’.

1 Like

Oh lord, I can see the bots having a field day. Would this only be possible from the account owner’s point of view? Perhaps users would need to follow or favorite the game to be able to be messaged through that API?

Very interesting point though at least for handling support tickets.

Bots can already send messages with their ROBLO-SECURITY cookie so it shouldn’t add any extra capability to the bots.

3 Likes

This is a great change :slight_smile:

My projects github repo has CI for testing, so this enables me to use auto deployment. Very useful!

I’m excited for the future of OpenCloud, especially being able to upload assets

Specifically about whether or not we would be able to make these API requests from a Roblox place, this functionality would be incredibly useful rather than having to use a proxy to accomplish these requests. The main use cases I can think of off the top of my head is using group APIs when they arrive eventually to rank players in a group based on some type of ingame system. As well, being able to access other data stores through this API would be useful when wanting to have shared data that spans multiple games (rewards in other games based on data from different game, sharing one-time in-game purchases across multiple games, etc).

2 Likes

This looks like a really neat feature. excited to use this.

1 Like