[Open Source] Infinite Terrain & Level of Detail system

Understood, and by replying to your comment I was referring to your the possibility someone could choose to improve on your open sourced place in the same way that you added to the first one.

1 Like

How could it be modified to only load a max area. Say I wanted the max width/length of the terrain to be 1k/1k studs.

2 Likes

This is extremely useful, thanks for this!

This Is very usefull If you wan’t to make an game quicker! Nice job!

:+1:

I was hoping that this used triangle terrain but I guess it doesn’t lol, still pretty good and impressive though!

The hardest part of making Infinite Triangle Terrain with LoD is just trying to prevent seams where the resolution changes.

It looks really good though!

Until Roblox adds a more official way of placing single polygons, they’re much slower to create than normal blocks. Each polygon requires two parts, and each square would require two polygons to replace the regular single part. They also require much more computationally intensive mathematics. This means it’d run over 4 times slower than it currently does. Being that it already struggles to run smoothly, polygons are not currently viable.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve messed around with it a lot, and while it looks amazing its just not possible yet. We might be able to do a little bit of a hacky solution once rigging is added, but even that won’t be great. Once we do get a proper polygon/mesh API, I really hope to see some amazing things.

A little slow on the uptake here, are you talking about “any” general polygon or a specific polygon, or just triangles? By two parts do you mean two wedge parts or do you mean two parts unioned or negated to make the polygon? Or something else?

Any polygon that isn’t a right angle triangle has to be made with two WedgeParts. Unioning them would be much slower, it’s better to just keep them separate. It’s not possible to create a cache of unioned polygons because, for the most part, no two polygons will be the same.

1 Like