[OPEN SOURCE] [N2Abbreviate] Advanced Number Abbreviate Module (VERY SIMPLE TO USE)

oh yes my fault .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

1 Like

Suggestions

Instead of using keys such as “Advanced”, “Medium”, and “Basically”, it would be more beneficial and useful as a resource to be able to use custom amounts. Switching the key to a “PlaceValue”, with the “PlaceValue” representing what people would be able to round their number to, would add a lot more functionality.

For example, you would have something like:

N2Abbreviate.Convert(Number,PlaceValue)

You would call

N2Abbreviate.Convert(1234.5,10)

And the result would be “1230”.

Some more examples
N2Abbreviate.Convert(1234.5,100) -- 1200
N2Abbreviate.Convert(1234.5,10) -- 1230
N2Abbreviate.Convert(1234.5,1) -- 1235
N2Abbreviate.Convert(1234.5,.1) -- 1234.5
N2Abbreviate.Convert(1234.5,.01) -- 1234.50

Additional Functionality

Resources are all about usefulness. It is important that they enhance the developer’s experience, and save them time.

If you could specify what these features are, that would be appreciated.

Some functionality that would improve my experience as a programmer would be to return two values when the function is called:

local AbbreviatedNum, LetterNum = N2Abbreviate.Convert(1234.5,1000)

--Would return "AbbreviatedNum = 1000", "LetterNum = 1k"

Having both the exact rounded number, along with the “simplified” number (adding a letter to represent zeroes) would add usefulness.

The suggestion you gave was confusing even to me at first reading. It will take a long time for someone who knows little about this subject to learn it.

By Three Features, I meant Basic, Medium and Advanced.

As you said, many people use the abbreviation to remove zeros, it would be meaningless if I added zeros, but I’m planning to add new features soon, but these will be different challenges.

If this is open source, this should have a GitHub documentation/ source code, right?

the source code is in the module… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I get that, but most people wouldn’t want the hassle of going on their computers, waiting a minute for it to load completely, wait 30 seconds for Roblox studio to open, and then wait 10 seconds for the place to open, grab the module and see the source code.

I forgot the password to my Github account and wrote it open source as I didn’t obfuscate the module in any way.

for a module as simple as this a github is kinda unwarrented, typically modules that have githubs need advanced documentation.

1 Like

I agree with your points, the argument is closed.

1 Like

.-.-…-.-.-.-.
yeah u right :stuck_out_tongue:

Why should anyone use this over this?

2 Likes

I’d definitely use this module over what you linked because of this module’s simplicity.

1 Like

In addition to being much simpler to use, new features will come.

in comma abbreviations will come tomorrow

And as a different reason for using it, I can say that since it’s open source, you can develop it yourself. It’s 20 lines of code and it’s extremely easy to change.

Not trying to start an argument, but the other specified module is also open source, and you can also change it.

1 Like

The real question is, does this support Novemnonagintillion which should be written as NONONGNTL, also known as 1x10^300 or 1e300.

Besides that, this seems pretty cool. You support a amount of numbers which is good enough for most games. You should probably use

return function()

end 

rather than

local module = {}
function module:Convert(...)

end
return module 

so people can just do
local module = require(…)
module(2342456781)
rather than
module:Convert(2342456781)

1 Like

This module is coded much shorter and more understandable.

it doesn’t support but i can add in today’s update :slight_smile:

Amazing! Great job! :100: this module makes life way easier

1 Like