Optimizing old code

Hey everyone!

I work at a studio which handles a game which is inherited by a former solo developer who has since left the community and has given us the code to a game to continue his legacy.

The game is a class based fps, taking inspiration from Team fortress 2, and the code is Very old and poorly written. The code frequently overloads the servers causing regular crashes. Me and my team have this far tried to refactor and optimize the game but the game still suffers from the issues I’ve mentioned. We can not detect which parts are causing the issue.

I have no experience with optimization tools provided by studio as my all of my other project were not very big and didn’t require me to learn this tools but I’ve now I have to. So that’s why I’m here, I’m asking you to help me by telling me which tools would be suitable to troubleshoot my problem, you can also provide tips which I may find useful.

Thanks

This should help you pinpoint the sources of your code issues: Introducing MicroProfiler memory profiling, flame graphs, diffs, and much more