Overcoming Burnout

Very good tutorial! I feel like I was really starting to lose motivation when it comes to building (mostly because of school) but now I will make sure to take a lot of breaks when im busy.

4 Likes

I think what’s more common for developers is the Shiny Object Syndrome. The Shiny Object Syndrome is basically when you give up a project to start a new one which you think will be really popular. The new project is the “Shiny Object” and you stop working on the old project. This cycle of starting projects but never finishing them goes on over and over. It would be great if someone could write a tutorial on breaking this loop.

17 Likes

There is no such thing as “work-life balance”. Dan Peña, the trillion dollar man.

11 Likes

I have been working on Devable for well over 6 months now and I have had burnout from it multiple times.

As someone who is going through some mental health issues, I can honestly say Roblox is an amazing coping mechanism. It gives me that sense of control that stops me resorting to what other people resort to. I spend a lot of time on the platform because of that, so I get burnouts - pretty often. Not only that, but my mental health issues means I get them a lot more often.

When I get a burnout, I usually do that the OP mentioned and write some code for fun. Just make something that isn’t what I’m burnt out on - that gets my mind off my main project and I’m back up and running before I know it.

5 Likes

I have a question. What should I do if I get burned out, and I forget what to do / forget how to script? It happens to me quite often.

1 Like

Start to learn again.
Do a simple project to refresh your memory, go through some tutorials, etc.

3 Likes

Oftentimes we forget what it is like to be a beginner again. It’s refreshing to be a novice at something again. Never stop learning.

2 Likes

Well done :clap: ! AMAZING tutorial honestly, I have been suffering burnout for many months now, and this is helping me slowly overcome it. Thanks for taking the time to write this tutorial!

1 Like

I’m just making a game and I’m always taking a day of break, doing the game for fun and I have a balance, but I still have a burnout. Sometimes I get very exhausted emotionally. How do I solved this?

1 Like

It’s not always to do with roblox. Burnout is something that you can only deal with yourself, to be honest. You are the only one know truly knows your mental health.

You may be going through the stress of exams at the moment, or you may be struggling from a variety of things in your life, have you tried just taking a break from development for like a little while, catching up with life and then starting when you should start to feel refreshed.

Try playing other games, try another language, do something to take your mind off of life and off of Roblox.

2 Likes

Actually, if you have a real burnout, it’s largely not something you can only deal with yourself and you should probably visit a medical practitioner or a therapist. High stress levels is not the same as burnout.

1 Like

You don’t always have to meet a doctor, but there’s no harm in getting an appointment with a doctor, and listening to what they say. Just do something you think can help, because you won’t know what does until you try it.

I have only had one burnout (or about that), and that was after working on a game for so long, without doing anything else (other than school, of course). I got tired of everything that had to do with development, I wasn’t even able to turn on my PC because I felt there was nothing to do. Sure, I had work to do, but I just felt there was nothing I could do.

This was honestly a horrible experience, and I really do not want to experience it again, although I probably will in the future. It’s not like I didn’t want to get a game done, but only the thought of having to work more made me “bored” and sick of it. I did nothing productive for at least a month, so I took a really long break from computers. Probably up to a month or two.

Sadly, this resulted me in getting fired from the job (for obvious reasons, I wasn’t online for a long time). Any notification I received was like another boring moment, so I decided to uninstall all apps from my phone. Personally, I just needed a break from what I was doing.

The only person I can blame is myself, I was pushing the boundaries too much. Sleep is important, which was something I didn’t realize back then. I was working until like 1 or 2 AM, and then I had to wake up at 8AM to go to school. My grades worsened, and I just felt like I was a total disaster at everything.

Trust me when I say this, if you feel tired, don’t continue to push yourself. The stupidest thing you can do is to ignore your body and its shout for help. It will come back for revenge. If there is something important you have to do at 1AM, maybe you should have done it earlier.

4 Likes

When I get tired or sick of working on Lua Learning, I try to work on something else that interests me to keep me motivated.

I also always open source whatever little things I make while doing this, because why not? Someone might as well benefit from it!

1 Like

I have done this unknowingly for all this time! I want to especially emphasise on
keeping a good work-life balance. This due to that I have faced this adversity many times. Unfortunately this due to my constant procrastination and the horrible mindset of thinking working harder instead of smarter. As consequence, you affect the people around yourself.

1 Like

This is true, you can seek help from a therapist or a medical practitioner, however, this guide is primarily focused on smaller developers who do this recreationally or who do it on small to medium sized projects.

Yes, top-developers will still suffer from burnout but their experience has given them their own personal ways to overcome this, they develop with experience.

1 Like

Considering I tend to overwork myself quite a bit these tips were very helpful.
Thank you for sharing them with us!

1 Like

The hardest part about creating something is making it unique. Far too many people do it for greed and become disappointed when it doesn’t work out. I’ve been on the platform for almost a decade and I have yet to make a successful game. However, patience… willingness to move forwards, etc are all life lessons that I’ve learned through this platform and ultimately helped me a great deal in life.

The struggle of making the next popular game is comparable to the struggle of life. Both are unforgiving. Both require you to work for it. At the end of the day, the biggest roadblock is you.

1 Like

This is a very good message.

If finding a game idea is the problem you are having, I’d recommend checking out this thread:

1 Like

UPDATE LOG

• Added the Useful Links tab.
1 Like

I really appreciate the resource, I’ve been feeling this way for a while, and I love the help.

2 Likes