Packages Phase 2: Advanced Updates [LIVE!]

@Rocky28447 Your Packages in the other windows will not be updated.

@Thundermaker300 Yes, that is on the list of improvements we would like to make.

3 Likes

Great! Now I can create and color characters more easily!

Combining this with Git and other useful tools, this update is very useful to me.

I can now update my framework across multiple places in large games. This saves me a lot of headache and time. Thank :clap: you :clap:! :slight_smile:

I do have a few questions, however.

Say I have a package named ā€œFramework_Serverā€, it contains all of the server-sided components of my framework. I use said package in multiple games. Each game is structured like so:

Game A

• Place 1A
  • Place 2A
  • Place 3A

Game B

• Place 1B
  • Place 2B
  • Place 3B

Letā€™s say I update Framework_Server and click ā€œUpdate Allā€ in ā€œPlace 1Aā€.
Again, Game A and Game B both use the same package (they are both owned by a group).

What would happen in this case? Would only Game Aā€™s places receive the update, while Game B does not?
Or would both gameā€™s places receive the update?
And also, how would this work with auto updating as well?

Main reason for asking this is because all of my games use a shared framework. When I update the framework, I need to test how the framework update would affect each game. Each game has its own test servers, where I can test to see if a framework update broke something in the game before I deploy to the ā€˜liveā€™ servers.
If the package updates are pushed automatically to the ā€˜liveā€™ servers (which share the same package as the test servers), I will need to re-structure my deployment workflow as this can potentially cause serious issues if buggy code is pushed to the package without letting me test first.

1 Like

Wow this makes so much easier. Thanks again!

1 Like

If you ā€œUpdate Allā€ in ā€œPlace 1Aā€ it will only affect the places under ā€œGame Aā€. You will need to open up ā€œGame Bā€ and do the ā€œUpdate Allā€ action again in order for it to affect the places under ā€œGame Bā€. I do understand this use-case, however; and we have plans to make this possible in the future.

Auto-Updating is universe agnostic, and will receive the updates, but you will still need to publish the place at some point as its a change to the DataModel. We intentionally designed these changes not automatically get pushed to live servers. This is subject to change, but we would not change that without an announcement and is not likely to happen soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope this information helps, and that these changes still massively improve your workflow.

5 Likes

Auto-updates donā€™t push to live servers, but do mass-updates? Or do both only save to the unpublished, cloud version of the game?

2 Likes

They only save to the unpublished cloud version of the game. Neither of them directly push to live servers.

3 Likes

Wow, I am glad to see this coming to roblox shortly, stuff like this is going to be very useful if someone were to say make their map a different biome for the time of season, just quite literally publish changes to the package, and boom, you have a new season on your map. This update is going to be spectacular and I am ready for it roblox!

1 Like

So say I only edit ā€œPlace 1Aā€, and I click ā€œUpdate Allā€, then I click ā€œPublish all placesā€ under the ā€œFileā€ menu - would Place 1B receive the updated package and be published alongside ā€œPlace 1Aā€?

1 Like

ā€œUpdate Allā€ only affects the universe you are currently in. Since Packages are objects in the Cloud, Place 1B will know that there is an update, but unless auto-update is enabled it will not receive it. You will still need to publish Place 1B and 1A in order for these changes to on live servers.

Also, there is no concept of ā€œPublish All Placesā€.

There is such a thing. Itā€™s called ā€œPublish Whole Gameā€ and is located under the ā€œAdvancedā€ tab of the File menu:

ā€œPublish all places, developer products, and other parts of your game to Roblox.ā€

I canā€™t comment on whether the feature actually works as it says or not as Iā€™ve never tried it myself. However, it definitely exists.

It doesnā€™t perform the action you think it does. This was designed to copy contents over from one universe to another, it does not actually publish all places in your game. Also, I do not recommend using this feature as it as unintended side-effects and consequences.

3 Likes

It would be great if you could allow other people in the team create to publish the package. Weā€™ve resulted to opening an team-alt account for this. Itā€™s a pain having to log into it every time to update just so everyone has access to updating it themselves. Our game is tied to my account not a group. I thought people who host a game on their group wouldnā€™t have this issue, but from a previous poster it sounds like they donā€™t have any luck either.

Thanks so much for your hard work. I especially canā€™t wait until you do not have to open every single individual game anymore to update. Itā€™s a good time to be alive. :smiley:

6 Likes

As ofā€¦ 30 minutes ago we have officially released Mass Updates to Beta. Once again, you just need to go to File > Beta Features and enable Mass Updates for Packages :slightly_smiling_face:.

6 Likes

Extremely useful for continuous development on a game with many places where you want to implement new features without having to go and update every single place. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will we ever get the ability to blacklist/whitelist instances from a package?

Instead of rambling a lot for this post with meaningless jargon that just says the same thing across 2+ paragraphs, Iā€™ll just say that I support this!

Seems like itā€™d be great & extremely useful feature for games which span across multiple places with things like a custom weapon system with over 5k lines of code, where a simple update to one game would take forever to replicate to others! Iā€™d probably use it later on
ā€¦yeah probably not knowing meā€¦

As a side note anyone got any tips to stay motivated for projects? I get about 3 days of extreme motivation and massive imaginative ideas before all that motivation goes poof randomly and I give up on the project before finishing even 1/10000th of a playable version.

For me, taking a few days away from development really helps with preventing development fatigue!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Already taken 1 - 2 months away from it, tho thanks for the advice.

Click on this link to see the latest and great Packages DevHub Article that has all the deets (outside of this post) on Phase 2!

Both links go to the same location, or do they?

3 Likes