Parallel Luau Doucmentation makes No Sense

The parallel documentation and indeed the library itself is like nothing I’ve seen before. My initial assumption was that desynchronize worked like a fork and synchronize like a join, which it doesn’t appear to. Also, the documentation says that scripts under the same Actor run in order, which also doesn’t make sense because that makes it seem like you have to create several copies of the same script under different actors. Does anyone have an example of how to use this that isn’t the one on the documentation page? That example sucks because the application they chose has no observable difference between being run with or without parallel threads.

I did a bit of digging, and I cant seem to find anything relevant, People seem to have the Same Questions and concerns as you, but this is one thing I could find, It might help but not sure.

I saw this but also found a reference example for parallel terrain generation. The latter was kind of disappointing because it seems to confirm the fact that you need to copy and paste scripts around the workspace (even if its via a controller script) and have some way of sending them info. This is annoying because many other environments already figured out the least confusing way to present this feature: which is to just have a function which when called launches another function in a different thread, and provides some token that you can later use to wait for the result.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.