Part damaging players while teleporting

I created a script to teleport players once they click a gui button,
It does teleport players, but it damages and kills them which is a problem.
Here is the script I used to teleport players, local script in the button :

disabled = false

script.Parent.MouseButton1Click:connect(function()
	if disabled == false then
		disabled = true
		script.Parent.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.new(217, 0, 0)
		game.ReplicatedStorage.RemoteFunction:InvokeServer()--here
		wait(3)
		script.Parent.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.new(0, 154, 0)
		disabled = false
	end
end)

and a script in server script service :

local remote = game.ReplicatedStorage.RemoteFunction
   local part = workspace.TeleportPart2
   remote.OnServerInvoke = function(player)
	 local humanoid = player.Character.Humanoid
	if humanoid.Parent:FindFirstChild("Torso") then
		humanoid.Parent.Torso.CFrame = CFrame.new(part.Position + Vector3.new(0,3,0))
		elseif humanoid.Parent:FindFirstChild("UpperTorso") then
		humanoid.Parent.UpperTorso.CFrame = CFrame.new(part.Position + Vector3.new(0,3,0))
	end
end

for an unknown reason the players get damaged too, there are no other scripts related to that part.
If there is a better way to teleport players upon a gui button being clicked then do tell me .
Thanks.

i’m not very familiar with Server Invoke, the second script is modified and isn’t mine

1 Like

I tried the script inside my studio and teleport works correctly without damaging the players. :herb:

2 Likes

And kills? Weird. You’re setting the CFrame so death shouldn’t be an issue. Only ever had that problem when setting the position of the Torso or Head. Maybe you have another underlying issue?

It’s worth noting, by the way, that you don’t need that if statement to check whether the rig is R6 or R15. Not only is that not the right way to check the active rig (you’d use Humanoid.RigType), but you should be using the HumanoidRootPart to teleport characters. Both rig types have one and they are made the same way.

One other thing. As you are using a RemoteFunction, you must return something. Don’t know if you already are and the code sample was truncated, but if not, add a return statement before the last end (the default return, essentially). If the server does not return a value to the client, the thread will be permanently hung. Anything below the InvokeServer will not run.

3 Likes

Instead of using torso (Which I am sure only is usable on R6 characters, instead use HumanoidRootPart which covers your R6 and R15 players.

Edit: You may also have the teleport part too low, which damages the player.

2 Likes

thanks for the tip sentient, but what would I have to change so that that height doesn’t damage players?
I’ve tried changing fallen parts destroy height, but that was of no use.

1 Like

You do not need to explicitly return a remote function for it to work properly. When the function ends on its own, the server sends an empty response, which is the same as a normal Lua function with no return value.

1 Like

Try moving the humanoid root part instead of the upper torso / torso. Maybe you’re moving the torso away from the head momentarily, and that’s killing them?

1 Like

Try moving humandRootPart or move the entire character’s model instead.

1 Like

I think the problem is that you are setting the position of the torso, not the humanoidrootpart. Now, I know that this has been said, but I think the point is, that, if you remove the head from a part of the body, the player dies. And I think that the script is causing that

1 Like

As others said, the issue is setting the CFrame of Torso & UpperTorso. The PrimaryPart property of Characters is the HumanoidRootPart, meaning if you set the CFrame of this part, the rest of the Character follows. UpperTorso and Torso are not natural PrimaryParts, meaning you’d simply be killing the Player when offsetting these objects’ CFrames from the Character. Here is something like what your Server Script should look like:

if humanoid.Parent:FindFirstChild("Torso") then
		humanoid.Parent.HumanoidRootPart.CFrame = part.CFrame + Vector3.new(0, 3, 0))
	end
end
``
4 Likes

What do you mean? RemoteFunctions do not send an empty response when they are complete, they require an explicit return statement, unless that’s been changed and I simply never knew.

Users have encountered crash issues and frozen threads in the past (hung threads due to no response) because they did not add a return statement to the remote. Scripts expect return values from remotes. The only time this works is a callback function off a RemoteFunction where you return things except a default value.

A RemoteFunction invocation expects a response. A regular callback function does not and will return an empty (nil) response by default after it’s execution.

https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/api-reference/class/RemoteFunction

Correct me if I’m wrong? I’m sure this behaviour hasn’t changed though.

2 Likes

Are you able to provide a video of the issue occurring? I find this to be a very strange problem. Your code looks fine so there shouldn’t be any death problems which is why I’m banking my money on there being an underlying issue.

1 Like

I can support this. In the past whilst using Remote Functions I have experienced many issues especially since there is no timeout.

Someone made an alternative that doesnt yeild forever: Postie: An elegant alternative to RemoteFunctions with a timeout

Although I have marked the appropriate fix to my problem, as to not kill players once they teleport. For some strange reason the code in the local script does not work (parented to the gui button)

disabled = false

script.Parent.MouseButton1Click:connect(function()
	if disabled == false then
		disabled = true
		script.Parent.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.new(217, 0, 0)
		game.ReplicatedStorage.RemoteFunction:InvokeServer()--here
		wait(1.5)
		script.Parent.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.new(0, 154, 0)
		disabled = false
	end
end)

Thats because your using a Remote Function and need to return.

if humanoid.Parent:FindFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart") then 		 
        humanoid.Parent.HumanoidRootPart.CFrame = part.CFrame + Vector3.new(0, 3, 0)) 	
        return true 
    end 
end

Sorry for no indents im on mobile.

Here’s proof that a remote function returns on its own.

-- Script

local Remote = game.ReplicatedStorage.DoSomething

function Remote.OnServerInvoke(player)
	print("Did something.")
end

-- LocalScript

local Remote = game.ReplicatedStorage.DoSomething

wait(3)
print("Invoking server function.")
Remote:InvokeServer()
print("Server function returned.")

demo.rbxl (17.9 KB)

1 Like

Very strange, it always yielded infinity on my previous projects.

Edit: Just to clarify this behaviour is also present with Server to Client:

I am really confused :joy: image

Oh? Did they change the behaviour then? I very clearly remember that threads would hang if an explicit return value was not made. Behaviour when defining a variable to the return of a RemoteFunction isn’t there though, but maybe it’d be the same.

TIL. Does that also mean I could safely start using InvokeClient and not worry about clients overwriting OnClientInvoke, or create a timeout system if clients do not respond?

Thank you for the citation and test. I could’ve tested that myself though, but, not often you get a reply with an actual test and citation to disprove something.

1 Like

Ive tested in a few circumstances and yes it has always returned nil when a return isn’t made, they just haven’t updated the Remote Function Roblox page.

2 Likes