Parts become offset when copy and pasting

When building stuff in Roblox. Parts tend to do this when I copy and paste them. They somehow become offset by a little. One way I found to fix it is just by copying the same part I copied and paste it in that parts position to make sure its not offset. Which becomes very tedious. In this photo here I kept building just to only find this mistake. Is there a reason to why the part becomes offset when pasted sometimes or is there no way to prevent it and no way to fix it? It gets on nerves when working on gun models the most where the sights could become offset.
unknown

9 Likes

Does this have to do with floating point imprecision?

7 Likes

Yes. I use same studs when building at all times 0.05. Yet it sometimes leads to this gap problem. Where the part is then offset.

4 Likes

While working on a model of myself, I had this issue occur to me. I was working with a model of myself, when I copied it, and pasted it, and the hair, and other head accessories were misplaced. I just manually put them back into place, and it may be annoying, but its probably the part gap problem.

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue as well and I don’t have any clue what causes this problem.

2 Likes

Been a problem for a while on roblox. I’ve always used duplicate rather than copy/paste. Pasting something always puts it in a wonky position, while duplicating keeps the exact same position. Try to duplicate with Ctrl+D, if you didn’t know. I rarely drag parts around with the mouse. I always use move arrows and duplicate.

9 Likes

I’ve had parts become offset slightly when unioning / separating before, but never while copy and pasting parts. (Either that or I probably never noticed)

1 Like

This should be moved to the Studio Bugs category

Read all about it, I have encountered it:

If you want to dig around it:

If you want a solution, use this plugin to close the gap:

1 Like

As other people are suggesting this is a problem due to floating point error.

My own personal fix is a plugin that I really only use for myself.
Close Gap.rbxmx (21.1 KB)

It’s pretty simple to use, but doesn’t have any fancy UI or anything. Just have the part(s) you want to be offset to touch the surface selected. Then press the plugin action hotkey and click on the first surface and then the second (which the first will move to touch). Wallah! The plugin should line it up for you.

3 Likes

I have had this problem before, I just duplicate parts now and use build plugins.

So, if you copy-paste using Ctrl+C then this behaviour will occur very often.

Use Ctrl+D instead, it will copy the part and automaticaly put it in the same position.
You can then simply drag it out with your Move Tool :slight_smile:

In this scenario there are a few things you can do:

• You can drag the part against the next part to re-align it.
  • You can also duplicate the part by right clicking or doing Ctrl+D to duplicate it in the same spot so you don’t loose your alignment.
    I hope this helps!
    Lolaphobia

I think part of the problem is the resolution you use. This post explains it better, but basically it’s better to use certain values like 1, 0.5, 0.25, 0.125

Ctrl + D

2 Likes

This error can commonly occur while using smaller increments (.05 and below I’m pretty sure). A good way to bring the parts together is if you turn collisions on and turn the increment to 0. You can bring the part to that other part and there shouldn’t be space between the parts afterward. If it overshoots and goes into the stud which commonly happens to me, you can just select moving and everything to just having your mouse and you can move the part by clicking and holding it. Now what you can do is move it so it’s touching the other part and it usually automatically fixes the gap there. I use that method a lot and it seems to work every single time. Tell me how it works! :smile:

I get this error constantly. I’ve tried the new QoL building tools, I’ve tried only cloning, I tried only using move tool and not dragging. Every. single. time. I build with join surfaces, parts magically unalign, even if I do not touch them. I have it set to a one stud increment, however my builds ALWAYS get poisoned by parts that are somehow off by 0.001. even though that should not be possible when building in orientations of 90, with 1 stud grid size. Its not like you can leave it be, as the 0.00001 offset stacks over time the more you build. its invisible to see until its effected the whole build as you can only see distances as small as 0.001. I have relentlessly searched for a solution to this infuriating problem and everywhere I check it says “Solved” when it clearly isn’t. It makes building anything destructible impossible without using constraint welds. For a game founded on destruction of builds, how am i supposed to build anything without welds failing due to being offset by 0.003 and not being close enough.