Pathfinding Ignore list?

Its a large open world… i’m not sure how computing the whole map would be pracaticle in this way. NPC Path finding right now is limited… and my biggest problem is finding a way of ignoring doors… because when the npc approaches the door… it will open and therefore the path can be recomputed. Another issue is the fact that doors are often within models… not easily indexable… and theres a lot of them. An npc may have need to follow a path but the door thats an issue is far away… so searching in magnitude may not work as well… i find @Jaycbee05 idea of the raycasting interesting… and if anyone has anyideas on how to add to that… that would be really great.

I could detect just the one door that may be in the way… if the path is blocked… then what i could do is change the path to the doors door sensor… when the npc hits the door sensor… the door will open… and the path can continue. The problem is… and this is the problem with @Jaycbee05 solution… is that because its blocked it cant detect a path to the final destination. So… it can’t find the possible door that is in the way. Nor would it put the player in the path of the door necessarily. The only thing i can think of is manually making a path… but i’d like to avoid that for reasons of… going forward i may have a lot of npcs that go through paths… and i’d like it to be fail safe if there may be a door in the path.

@IdiomicLanguage
@REALTimothy0812

One of the things i’ve been experimenting with has been right before the path is created, i loop through all the doors and uncancollide them… then right as the path is finished being created, i recancollide them… and the path works. I just wish i didnt have to loop through all the doors in the game to do that.

1 Like

Create nodes inbetween the door and then have the pathfinder go to that door and then from the door you can calculate your next route. I would also setup some regions so the bot can choose a much more optimized path rather than have the pathfinder do all the work.

Hi! I’m sorry, this is an old topic, but i’m revisiting the system. @Solar_Wraith are you suggesting I acctually map out all the paths with nodes?

I was talking about nodes inbetween the doors.