PathfindingService

Hey! I recently just learnt about Pathfinding Service. Is there a way where we can specify killParts?

Please specify your question in your title. One word is not good enough.

Try renaming it to something where other people will know what the thread is about just by looking at it. You want to talk about ignoring certain parts in pathfindingservice, or perhaps specifying a killPart. These little descriptions make all the difference.

Long story short - No.

But what you can do is make an invisible obstacle that pathfindingservice will have to go around.

This topic contains a good idea for what the idea is essentially - create an alternate/invisible map that is separate and that pathfindingservice must go around.

Do note that because that topic is relatively old, you can make some modifications to the logic of it for your case however.

I am not experienced with collissionGroups, is there a post that teaches?

There are many posts that teach about collsiongroups but I actually don’t believe PathfindingService takes them into account on second thought.

Obviously do check out the PhysicsService page and use the search bar to research about them.

Back on topic, you should probably go with the solution provided in the topic, as creating a separate map should work. If you want to create your own pathfinding that supports collision groups or that can even just detect killParts, you can probably find tutorials for that online as pathfinding algorithms are prevalent outside of Roblox too.

1 Like

If you get your Pathfinding working, then it might be that Raycasting would work well for checking the presence of Kill blocks directly in front of the NPC as it moves around the workspace. The combination of Pathfinding and Raycasting to stop my NPCs getting stuck on blocks is on my todo list, so I can’t give you any specific examples.