PBR texture tiles are far too small?

So I’ve been taking a crack at adding PBR textures to my game but I don’t seem to have any luck with it. When I add a surface appearance to my mesh part, it becomes one giant texture that covers the entire part as seen here:

And I’ve seen many other users telling me to add a humanoid as a sibling to my mesh part and this partly works for tiling the texture but I’m still left with some really odd and small tiles:

Here is what my hierarchy looks like right now:

Is there any way for me to create an entire floor with properly scaled and tiled textures? I’ve heard that I may just have to do it in blender but I’m worried about importing models from blender to Roblox.

1 Like

you should DEFINITELY not do that.

The way textures are rendered on a mesh is dependent on the meshes UV’s. so, the way to fix this would be to import the mesh into blender, go into edit mode, select all vertices, unwrap UV’s and scale the UV island up until the texture looks the way that you want.

You should also add a material with an image texture with the texture you have so you can see how it looks real-time.

I hope this helped.
Good luck.

1 Like

Yep this is what I thought I’d have to do. Ill go and check this out and I’ll get back to you. Thanks!

Okay I’m trying this right now and as I’d suspected, exporting and importing from roblox to blender is super problematic for me. I’ve exported the meshpart here using the rightclick > Export Selection seen here:

and imported it into blender however, The imported product is very odd. The UV is far larger than what it should be and its wierldy offset as seen here:

Creating the really weird and small tiles despite the export in roblox studio looking like this:

The part is really big and I’ve made sure to remove the humanoid so it isn’t tiled but now I’m left with these problems. Is there a way to properly export and import the model into blender?

Alright, just make a new plane object and size it to somewhat fit the size of the imported plane in blender, this plane should have a normal, square UV map. apply the new material to the new plane and resize the UV’s till the tile size looks correct.

Now for the export, select only the newly created plane, go to file, export and export as FBX. When exporting make sure to limit the export to the selected objects and to set the transform scale to 0.01 (this will make one blender unit (blender grid is 1 unit scale for reference) is equal to 1 stud in roblox)

Now click export and import it into roblox. Insert the new plane and paste in the surface appearance instance into the mesh.

This should work for you, if it doesn’t and still is somehow messed up please attach the fbx mesh and a rbxm model file with the mesh with its surface appearance in it.

I hope this helped.
Good luck.

1 Like

You can use MaterialService for this, it already has auto tiling features with custom tile size option.

1 Like

Ill go check this out. Can I add custom materials to it?

I’ll try this but it seems a little flawed. What about more advanced geometry and meshes? I’d probably have to model them in blender and import it into roblox.

Yes, thats how you’d do it. You can model pretty much anything and give your model custom UVs and apply textures however you want.

1 Like

Yeah you can, for more info you can check out this forum post

Okay so I’ve figured it out. @MechanicalCore and @itsDenDenn Ill just make this one big summary solution because both of your solutions work so I hope you guys don’t mind.

For the purposes that I have right now:
Usually the material manager works like a charm. I can set the tiling size and it just does the tiling automatically. This is fantastic for anything that is simple such as a floor or a wall and I’m quite sure it works well with most footstep override scripts. BUT!

If that doesn’t work,
Blender is probably the more stable and professional solution and it can be used for more complicated assets such as cars or guns and as @MechanicalCore said:

You can model pretty much anything and give your model custom UVs and apply textures however you want.

Blender or any other 3d modeling software is a better solution if it’s UV’s that need tweaking and editing.

Sorry if I’ve taken anything out of context or made any mistakes here but I’m very sleep deprived so I also can’t really be bothered.

One final question, does roblox support importing PBR’s from blender now? Can I texture an asset in blender and bring it into roblox and have it retain the texture?

EDIT:
The PBRs don’t get applied when I join the actual game. Is there some sort of setting I need to turn on?