Perlin Noise and Seeds

Okay so, I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I will indeed need custom noise somehow.

Roblox’s noise:

Minecraft’s noise for Continentalness:

I’ve already tried dividing up the positions, but it really doesn’t change much. I’m not quite sure how to explain it other than that the noise width is too small, or I guess the noise frequency is too high.

Using the same values as the example I was looking at, I got this:

Where as they got this in Minecraft:

With decoration:

As you can see, their mountains are far more wide than mine are. Even dividing up the positions still doesn’t give the desired outcome. I’ve made it closer with some adjusted spline points that differ from theirs, but it just never looks quite right. Am I doing something wrong?

The most I can really get is this, but I can’t seem to made them wider without messing everything else up (added some coloring to make it a bit nicer to look at):

I guess one thing that makes this somewhat okay is that I don’t need to adjust this in that way to make a biome as that’s not how biomes are generated anymore, but it’s still annoying that I can’t seem to produce something similar to their example using the same or similar values…

Looks like I forgot to add octaves. Doing so seems to make terrain closer to what I was aiming for:

I think I need to add some slight offsets between the noise, that way it doesn’t look so uniform.
What’s a bit worrying is this is only one noise map, not even counting the rest yet.

Progress report, I changed the input (because I realized I was using part position rather than coordinates) and suddenly magic is happening and I have no idea how and the scaling is off but it’s also cool.
Actually it turns out that I had the octaves and division swapped, but it turned out quite interesting at least:

Looking at your map, it looks just like what is coming out of the generation. The seed and the noise are one thing, how it’s used is another. Be little chance any maps would line up between the two. Unless that math was added to the generation just as theirs.

Yeah I realized I was putting in the wrong input, but now I’m getting some really amazing results with extreme numbers of octaves and a bit of interpolation for smoothing:

Problem is that this is probably requiring a lot more computations (although it generates faster than I expected), plus this is not at all how I planned this to go. I’m not sure if I can partially use this or not. It has the right terrain shaping that doesn’t look uniform, but it also works differently (and unexpectedly so) than what I was trying to accomplish before.

Load time on that would be pretty long from a login. Looks cool. I created one that turns them parts into landscape. With so many layers, I’d bet that would look sweet. That stuff is fun to mess around with. Just keep plugging in numbers, one will eventually be something you can’t pass up. Nice work.

1 Like

Really cool to see other people doing noise stuff! I made a map that was similar to what he did here:

I was getting a lot of different maps with just a simple noise function for

height, biome, river, oceans

so I think you will definitely be able to create a lot of unique maps
even as you go out further you could get new things you have never seen before

I made my map generate forever and it was pretty bad on performance because I used parts for each block and the blocks weren’t that big.

How did you load your world is that all a big pile of parts?
Also I think it looks really good!

2 Likes