PhotonFramework - Game Creation made Easy!

PhotonFramework V2 has released! You can view the new post at PhotonFramework V2 - Game Development, made Simple! - Resources / Community Resources - DevForum | Roblox

PhotonFramework

Upcoming changes: Restructuring of code, wiki finishing. More will be detailed when the update releases.

What is PhotonFramework:

PhotonFramework is a game design framework for Roblox which has the purpose of making game design faster and easier. PhotonFramework is currently maintained by me (Madonox).

Why use PhotonFramework over other frameworks:

Why should you use PhotonFramework over other frameworks? Well, to answer that question, you don’t have to pick just one framework! PhotonFramework aims to not interfere with pre-existing systems within a game, and can be easily added in and works alongside other frameworks, such as Knit.

Why use PhotonFramework at all:

PhotonFramework is a very useful tool in game design. It is very easy to work with, and yet offers many game design tools, ranging from UI design services to providing variable syncing across server to client boundaries.

What purpose does PhotonFramework serve:

PhotonFramework’s purpose is actually broad, meaning it can serve many purposes. PhotonFramework consists of many services, classes, and other useful tools to help programmers with whatever task they may be working on. PhotonFramework also implements PhotonScripts, or tables of data that can either be executed when the framework starts, or during runtime. The scripts executed on framework start will run on the client and server, so that is another one of PhotonFramework’s many purposes.

Latest update:

Update Version 0.0.3:

• Added ability to supply arguments with PhotonScripts executed post startup.

Update Version 0.0.2:

• Added onStart method, which allows you to execute code when the framework starts. See documentation for more in-depth details.

PhotonFramework installation:

In order to install PhotonFramework, simply follow the tutorial posted on the github pages! The tutorial is on the Getting Started page.
Github pages link: PhotonFramework (madonox.github.io)

Notice: PhotonFramework is in it’s alpha phase. There is a chance that bugs may be encountered, and if this occurs, please do not hesitate to contact me about it.

8 Likes

I would recommend to change the name since theres a framework thats called “AeroGameFramework”.

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

I love the interoperability, but what are some of the unique features of the framework that distinguish it from other frameworks (so that people aren’t combining frameworks that do the same thing) and the normal Roblox creator experience?

PhotonFramework is different from other frameworks simply because it covers a broader aspect. The framework isn’t made to just do one thing, like UI or service providing, it’s made to allow developers to have tools ready for use, without needing to install individual systems.

Could you still be a bit more specific? Right now it’s still very unclear what the framework actually offers. Describing the framework as one “made to allow developers to have tools ready for use, without needing to install individual systems” is a very broad umbrella.

What tools are there ready for use? I can see from the GitHub names like UIService, DataService, NetworkService, SharedService, etc. but these aren’t referenced at all in the thread.

It’s still very unclear what the framework specifically offers, what it can do/what it enables developers to do, and why it is specifically worth using especially relative to other frameworks. The last is especially important, because otherwise there’s no clear reason to use Photon over (or even in conjunction) with other frameworks, such as Knit which you directly mention. If it’s unclear what Photon specifically does, then why use it all? Why not just use Knit? An example of a framework that details this pretty well is Yucon Framework: Yucon Framework || Optimization, organization, and high-level security (I don’t know much at all about the specifics of Yukon, but it is clear based on the thread what it aims to do, what unique features or functionalities it offers, etc.)

I think your thread would be much improved if you could go into more detail on those! This isn’t meant to sound overly critical — I actually think it’s great that you’ve designed a framework, that it works well with others, and that you’ve put it out there for people to utilize. However, I don’t think it’s quite clear what the Framework offers and how it compares to other frameworks (since most of those do aim to do slightly different things or have different priorities in mind).

1 Like

I would like to expand upon this since my framework was linked here.

When I advertise my framework, I make it clear that the goals are organization and optimization; this is done by implementing a class and plugin system, shared data and scripts, etc. Scripts can easily intercommunicate and share data without much code. I also have a private build, soon to be public, that implements RSA and AES encryption, which puts it highest in the security department of frameworks.

That is how I advertise my framework, with explanation. I think what @https_KingPie is looking is an explanation like that. Be clear with what you aim for with this framework, and how it’s achieved.

Offering a framework is okay! Just make sure it’s clear why it’s a sufficient resource.

EDIT: I took a look at the framework and it seems to have a number of weird practices. I would take advantage of the self keyword to avoid parameter usage. Right now, it seems like it would increase the amount of code to do something, rather than decrease.

Follows an MIT license. I personally grant permission, via this post if permission is needed. Feel free to modify for your game, however if you’d like to publish it please contact me first.