Physics in slow motion

I’m trying to create a first person shooter in which you, the player, can slow down time, however I ran into an issue when trying to simulate player movement under a slow motion effect.

I want it so that when for example, the player jumps, he stays in the air for a good amount of time depending on how slow time is, and not instantly drop to the ground like they normally would.

So far I managed to tweak the WalkSpeed to be dependant on the current timescale of the game.

I’ve tried playing around with some body movers and gravity, but I couldn’t get the desired effect.

Any ideas on how to approach this?

1 Like

That’s a tough problem since a lot is dependent upon time… I can’t think of any way to change the time scale in one place that affects every system. For jumping, I’d lower gravity and apply less force to a jump. Animation speeds for any playing animations besides the walking animation will also have to be changed.

1 Like

Hello,

I love doing slow motion sort of stuff and I have a place with a demo of it (linked below) that you can build upon. I don’t do much with animations but I’ll look into adding them in the future. Hopefully this will be a good starting point for you if you intend to have physics based objects and projectiles in your game.
https://www.roblox.com/games/2506271048/
Learn more here

It’s all open source so feel free to look through and pinch code!

14 Likes

Being able to set a single value to scale time in a Roblox game would actually be a really useful feature.

In Space Engineers, the server slows down time when the sandbox world becomes too complex and starts to slow down the server. All clients will adjust their local time to match the server’s time. Likewise, if too many clients are slow, then the server can decide to slow down as well.

Minecraft does something similar with steps. When the server begins to slow down, it performs less steps per a second (think about the water/lava and redstone systems).

Star Craft 2 allows games to be played at different speeds which is helpful for those new to the game or for trying out new techniques / strategies.

Many FPS games have a replay feature of the moment you were killed in slow motion. This allows the player to know that they were not killed by an obvious hack if they didn’t see them. (It is also better than showing the attacker after death because it hides where they are going and gives a clear picture of what happened, in slow mo.)

Have you made a feature request for this yet?

4 Likes