Physics of Gliding Flight

I have been trying to make a gliding system for my game for a while now. I have been having a lot of trouble figuring out how I can do this effectively. This game, Bird Simulator - Roblox, has just about the exact type of gliding system that I am trying to achieve. The thing that I am wanting is a realistic gliding system that will be able to change the speed of the player based on their angle of attack, and lose momentum over time.

I have been looking through the forums to try and find some type of way that I can get the gliding effect that I am looking for, but all of the articles that I have found have not worked. I have been looking at the physics for it online, but I don’t know what I need to do to calculate the forces that go into this, and then apply them into my game.

I have tried using VectorForce, BodyVelocity, And BodyThrust, to make some sort of system to get my character to glide, but the forces that I end up calculating are way to large and instantly launch me through the baseplate, or through the sky.

I have found a bunch of articles and equations online, but I cant figure out how to apply these forces in my game, and get it to work properly.

Equations such as this:
L = .5 * Cl * r * V^2 * A and D = .5 * Cd * r * V^2 * A but I don’t know how I would go about implementing these.

Can anyone with a good physics understanding, or that is good at understanding those types of equations help me? Thanks. :smile:

(Sorry about all of the boring words, but I just want to prove that I have been trying to solve my problem, and I am not just asking for scripts)

“but the forces that I end up calculating are way to large and instantly launch me through the baseplate”
And how are you even calculating it?

I calculated the force that did that from this: Gliding script with air resistance and force, HOW? - #3 by emperormicah. The equation given in that had way too much downward force.

Is there anyone who is able to help me? I have also tried to input sleitnick’s Airfoil module, but it just didn’t work correctly.

has this been solved yet?
I haven’t been able to find a solution