Pivot Editor: Full Release

What’s summoning pivots? Never heard of it.

3 Likes

It allows you to temporarily place down your pivots in a certain location.

2 Likes

Oh, sorry if that was confusing, but I know replacements for those functions exist. I just meant it will be kind of a hard change for me because I used them a lot (now seeing a lot of developers say it was bad practice).

1 Like

Interesting new Blender update! Wait, this isn’t a Blender update? This is Roblox Studio??? Huh. Seriously though, this is a LEGENDARY update. I’m so excited to see what kind of new techniques develop and new kinds of builds would become SO MUCH EASIER! I’m thinking intricate designs. I’m the most curious about what kind of generation of Roblox Devs would be created that are fluent in such tools! EEP!
Edit: Just tried out the update. My only gripe is how I keep pressing Q instead of Tab, and my camera sinks into the ground.

7 Likes

I believe this was one of the things that a number of people requested when the beta feature was released. It’s not overly intrusive, but I’d still prefer the option to only see it while actually editing the pivot as opposed to constantly.

3 Likes

Indeed, and we talked to some of those people in making this decision.

Adding an option to toggle it off entirely has quite a big cost, because we want features to key off of pivot in the future where appropriate, and if you did not have the pivot shown in some way, those features could get very confusing.

5 Likes

Yes finally I can use for my tweening door model

1 Like

I had to disable pivot points since when importing characters via the ‘Import Rig’ built-in plugin (using the ‘Custom’ mode was causing the pivot points to appear in random places. Now that this will be forced, I will have to set the pivot points back to 0,0,0 every time.

Will there be any way to script ‘pivot offset’ in the future as currently this seems to be not possible. Having this propperty not scriptable causes plugins to not be able to use this important property.

1 Like

It is possible! You use the PivotOffset CFrame property.

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t see this since the explorer uses PivotOffsetPosition and PivotOffsetOrientation which are not scriptable.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not perfect, but it’s a somewhat temporary situation. Eventually we’ll likely make the Properties pane support CFrame properties directly, in which case the PivotOffsetPosition/Orientation properties will go away and you’ll just see the position and orientation sub-entries under a visible PivotOffset property similar to how you see X, Y, and Z under Vector3 properties.

2 Likes

This has annoyed me for years, since the CFrameValue doesn’t seem to have one of these ‘temporary solutions’ causing them to become a scriptable-only instance (no way to edit the value in the explorer). However, I am glad that pivot point offsets got a temporary solution rather than just becoming scriptable-only.

2 Likes

If moving the pivot out of bounds using move tool, it will not snap. Is this intended?

1 Like

It will snap to grid once outside of the bounds of the part if you have a grid snap increment set and enabled. What were you expecting it to do in this case?

2 Likes

They were most likely expecting for the pivot to snap to the side of the part when using the move tool. Like collisions, however it keeps the pivot from going off of the part rather than colliding with the part.

1 Like

This is soooo good! TYSM! Helps in modeling like hell. Now the thing that we need is vertice selection/moving, for example you can select a vertice of a part and move it around (like in blender!). That will help in making complex shapes as it’ll reduce the amount of parts needed (to make a sticking out corner right now, if you understand what I mean, add a part and slap a CornerWedgePart into it, scale it and position it until you get the thing) and open a new world for studio modelers. These updates will soon end the need of external software! Great job!

2 Likes

Amazing!

its time for me to make a Pivot Editor plugin for guis

Not sure if this is a bug but you can’t summon handles if your cursor is in the void.

I used this feature since when it got added in beta and it’s one of the best tools for studio builders and modelers.
For me this is and extremely helpful in for example, posing dummys but it has much more function.
Great functionality!

Wow! I like these new features. That feature would help developers.

1 Like