Pivot Points - Studio Beta

We aim to ship high-quality betas, and we’re glad you appreciate that. Sometimes, like with the new heightmap importer, we think they could be shipped as a release feature but want to confirm they work for you. Other times, like with the Align Tool, we actively want feedback about functionality in the tool and use that to assess what (if anything) needs to change before release, but we do ensure the tool works well as-designed. And sometimes we will ship things early, specifically designed to get feedback as soon as possible, such as the new materials upgrade that even ships as a stand-alone, special Studio beta download.

15 Likes

This actually super helpful as a Builder, it has so many features that could very handy!

I can think of many uses for this like a door, a window, and more…

• One problem which isn’t too much a big deal but can be annoying is that the objects pivot point doesn’t change position after using the Align tool:

The pivot point of the lamp got glitched after aligning it with the upper white part

But anyway, incredible feature Thanks Roblox :+1:

3 Likes

Damn, it’s something like blender origin, finally! Really useful and good update

5 Likes

I’m not sure if this is an issue with this update or not, but:
I’m experiencing an error with this new update, as I cannot open my published place.
Before this update was released, I was able to open my place without error. However, now that this update has come out, I cannot open my place.

3 Likes

This is because studio isn’t updated (latest is 475). The beta wasn’t supposed to be visible in older versions of studio like that, investigating.

If you close all your instances of studio and open a new one it should automatically update.

6 Likes

Alright, that fixed it. Thank you. I don’t know why I didn’t think about updating.

1 Like

Oops. I thought that this went through the dragger’s object movement code path but it actually uses something slightly different that hasn’t been updated to use the new API. I’ll get a fix in for that.

On the upside, if you’re one of the 5% of users that uses the Transform tool, that will correctly update pivot.

7 Likes

Unfortunately for me, I work with bright pink, a lot…

etc. I know I probably don’t represent the majority, but at least for me making the handles a shade of green would be very helpful.

6 Likes

Property type 29 huh?
Looks like I’ve got some reverse engineering to do :eyes:

8 Likes

Wait, so you know Roblox’s internal engine? Or do you mean you are just trying to cause the error on your own device? Or both?

1 Like

Since this update, 90% of my starter character model decided to not exist anymoreimage

3 Likes

Disable it then, and message @Bug-Support

1 Like

Please DM me a copy of the model in question if you’re able to share it, or try to construct a minimal demonstration of the problem if you aren’t.

3 Likes

I’ve reverse engineered their binary file format yes lol.

5 Likes

One question is this like blender that lets you edit every part of the part.

1 Like

There are two reasons why I decided to disable this beta for now:

1. Awkward rotations when selecting multiple objects

Normally, I could just rotate both of the objects from the center of the selection box, but with the beta enabled, the only way I could do this is by editing one of the selected part’s pivot:

1. The pivot point is far too obstructive and hinders my building experience

everywhere I go… I see that… thing…

This could easily be solved by showing it only while the pivot is being edited.

Other than that, this has great potential and I hope the two issues that I demonstrated could be resolved for the final release. :+1:

8 Likes

Every Part/Model has it’s own pivot and never loses it even if you group it within further Models / other containers.

For editing purposes, only the pivot of the most recently clicked object within the selection gets used as the pivot of the selection. (E.g. If you have two parts selected, you can switch which one’s pivot will be rotated around with the Rotate tool by clicking an additional time on it)

7 Likes

Indeed, this is something that’s very open to change.

We started things out with it always being shown since that’s the most in-your-face option, and we can scale it back from there depending on the feedback.

8 Likes

so with the addition of this update, i can no longer open the toolbox. fantastic

2 Likes

I have been waiting for this!

So excited, I can’t wait until it’s in team create :smile:

All that’s left is shade smooth :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

2 Likes