Place theft - Why ROBLOX places are already as secure as it's possible to get them

This is a 3 year old thread.

To answer your question, depending on the complexity of your game no. If your game relies on the server to do anything, then a stolen copy is already at a severe disadvantage–they have to rewrite the server code. If it doesn’t, your game is either singleplayer or not very complex.

Roblox will take stolen copies of your game down if you email support or send a DMCA.

5 Likes

What if they take different assets of your game and put them into another place? Does it still makes them liable for moderation?

3 Likes

I agree Roblox cannot prevent game stealing however they can avoid having them published. We need a good system for developers to remove stolen games maybe even a detector to detect if its stolen. We could have a way to see very similar games to find copies easily.

Scripters also need to make sure to do everything important on the server and not the client. If all games were properly secured exploits wouldn’t be any problem cause there wouldn’t be any way to cheat.

4 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

Does Roblox still only take down a place once and then says “If the place file is downloaded, then we won’t continue to remove it”, unless your game is a top Roblox game (Phantom Forces)?

@uJordy I got told “The assets in question are easy to remake, so we cannot remove them”. Exact same colour 3 values, unions/negations that had exact same random rotations and positions.

3 Likes

I have a question regarding the limitations of this exploit.

I have a game with a huge terrain, that attempting to export the terrain as an obj file would even crash studio. Would this have the same effect on the exploiter?

It might slow them a bit, but in the long run no. They can simply save it as a actual Roblox place file as well, without needing to export it as an obj file to load into a Roblox place file. Once Roblox studio becomes 64-bit (Supposedly in March I believe.) this will also become even less effective as studio should be able to handle larger things then.

3 Likes

While this is true , it is frustrating knowing there’s little you can do by default to attempt to hinder exploiters modifying client values that you can’t have server sanity checks for :frowning: (like recoil)

Also wow I didn’t realize how old this post was

I would love if this happened . Honestly just need the line numbers to debug errors in my opinion . Are there still plans to do this?

unless you use ModuleScripts anywhere in the Workspace/Replicated{Storage,First}, especially ones that contain server logic

5 Likes

Closing topic on request of OP due to bumps, please use Platform Feedback to request new features.