Player Points -- Are they slowly being removed?

Technically player points are being more and more unseen by Roblox, but since so many games still use player points in their games, and since group clans use these to hit the charts, I wouldn’t expect it to be removed any time soon.

But on the contrary, if it WAS removed, either developers would have to rethink a different approach with scores, or it would break a game entirely. I can think a few off the top of my head that utilize player points a lot. Roblox is really careful when it comes to keeping older games in fine condition over the years.

3 Likes

What games RELY on player points?

I know this football/soccer game that uses player points as a levelling system, so you need to earn x amount of player points to level up.

I can’t exactly say what games STILL use the points since I haven’t played many of the more-popular ones (so take this with a pinch of salt), but if I remember from way back correctly…

• Miner’s Haven used player points as a side-currency
  • Work at a Pizza Place used player points as a way to reward players money (I think)
  • Survive the Disasters 2 uses points for another reason I can’t remember…
  • Basically any game that panders to groups, and a lot of groups thrive off of this feature; Roblox encourages that quite a bit.

Wasn’t asking which games use points, most do moreso as a statistic, was asking which games RELIED on them? As in, which games would break if all player points related functions didn’t do anything?

I’m guessing it wasn’t scalable, and that it’ll be back eventually.

1 Like

Player points were originally a complicated method of giving players a global point score accross the site based on the providing games’ player counts. This initial attempt ultimately failed and devolved to what we have today. That said, the current implementation isn’t such a bad idea, allowing us to place players on a leaderboard on the game’s page. I think Roblox is moving on to different parts of the API to the moment, and player points aren’t high on their agenda.

1 Like

Ah. I don’t have an answer for that, since I’m not entirely sure myself what games would actually use them specifically. However (and this is just a guess), some tycoons, survival games or other simulators would supposedly break if they were to use points as currency instead of doing it all through the LeaderStats.

1 Like

Yeah I really like how it is currently, It’s something similar to how other games use their scoreboards (Call Of Duty comes to mind about this), It’s a great way to make a quick and simple leader-board system to display user’s score.

I just wish we could expand on it a bit more - maybe allow us to make multiple player-point leader-boards? Like allow us to create a board for “kills” or “wins” as well as the usual leader-boards, this could be a great way to provide a more universal leader-board system which can be implemented in a much simpler and more reliable way to methods which developers are using at the moment.

Maybe a good idea would be to be able to push tables to the site to be displayed. In a class atm but I’ll edit this with a more comprehensive explanation that I might want to push as a feature request in ~2h

EDIT:

Possibly overcomplicated explanation of a feature that may not be a bad idea but my self deprecation tells me is

Visuals

The proposed leaderboard would look something like this, with a column for the player, and then an additional column for each key of the dictionary table passed to the functions in the API section.

API

I think this should be added to either the currently existing PointsService or a new LeaderboardService.

The following is in wiki format

YieldFunctions

table GetLeaderboardAsync(int64 UserId)
Attempts to fetch the user with the specified UserId’s leaderboard data table, as displayed on the site. If successful, returns said data table.

void SetLeaderboardAsync(int64 UserId,table DataTable)
Sets the user with the specified UserId’s leaderboard data table, as displayed on the site.

table UpdateLeaderboardAsync(int64 UserId,function<NewDataTable>(CurrentDataTable) TransformFunction)
Attempts to fetch the user with the specified UserId’s leaderboard data table, as displayed on the site, and hands it to the TransformFunction, and sets the table value to the table returned by said function. If there is no current leaderboard data for said UserId, the TransformFunction will be given nil. The returned value is the final table to be saved, or the table the TransformFunction returns.

void RemoveLeaderboardAsync(int64 UserId)
Attempts to remove the user with the specified UserId’s leaderboard data table, as displayed on the site.

I plan to make a feature request for this myself (to top contribs since I’m a new member but I’ll try), but I’ll put this here just to gather comments about the proposal.

But what use of the player points? they are usless. They have no meaning.

Player Points right now? At the moment, they serve soley as a method of ranking your players on the game page.

1 Like

So basicly saying whos better then who? Wow, I thought ROBLOX was kid friendly, kid friendly is kind and having fun. How can you have fun knowing that someone is better then you and not equal.

1 Like

What? So there should be no competitive games on roblox? You already know you aren’t the best in any game(there almost always is someone better). You are not equal to everyone.

9 Likes

I think if you have that problem then you just don’t like games.

5 Likes

Oh dear here we go
Now everyone is gonna fight that

If the thought of someone being better than you ruins your fun, I have bad news for you.

3 Likes

If you having game problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but losing to you ain’t one

1 Like

Now this - this is quality sarcasm. Well done.

2 Likes

What I mean is the points are dumb, some people don’t even know what its about, how it works, or why they are even a thing! Im just saying get rid of them.