Playing animation works fine in editor but doesn't move specific parts while playing game

(I’m not sure if this question is in the correct category, so if it isn’t please tell me and I’ll move it)

I’ve made a very simple animation for my viewmodel just to make sure that all the parts are moving and can be moved without breaking. Everything seems to animate properly except the parts on the gun as seen here:

What it looks like while playing back in the animation editor:

What it looks like in game:

(Notice that the arms move but the handle doesn’t)

I’m confused as to why the animation would play back correctly in the animation editor but differently while testing. If it makes a difference instead of using Roblox’s default animation editor I’m using Moon Animator.

Are you using Motor’s to hold the gun together?

Yes, I have all the parts of the gun connected to a single part:

I’m not much of an expert in animating sorry. But have you looked at this Resource? How to animate Tool Parts (Guns, Knifes etc.)

Yes, I looked at that post for creating the animation that holds the gun on the server and not the client. I’m trying to animate a viewmodel. That post focuses more on animating tools on the player’s character.

Are the parts unanchored? Silly question but worth asking.

Yup all of the guns parts are unanchored. The only part that is anchored throughout the entire viewmodel is the HumanoidRootPart.

Have you applied the edits in the animation editor to the game?

Yeah, it seems like none of the parts of the gun are applying to the animation. This leads me to believe that my rigging is incorrect but I don’t know how to fix it

Could you explain how the animation editor you’re using works? Do you have to upload/overwrite an animation everytime you make a change?

Whenever you want to save an animation, there’s a drop down and you click “export all” this will create a little folder with your animation inside of it and you can then save the animation to Roblox. You can then load the animation onto a humanoid or AnimationController just as you can with the Roblox default animator.

Do you have a Humanoid inside the Model your trying to animate and have you attached the Handle to the HumanoidRootPart with Motors?

I have the weapon attached to the HumanoidRootPart though the arms are not attached to the HumanoidRootPart due to a weird glitch that was happening.

Alright, I’m really lost for ideas on this one, as much as I want to solve this, this goes beyond my knowledge of animating. Sorry for the inconvenience. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Perhaps try making the arms and the gun separate models, then make sure that both the arms and the gun have an animation controller inside them, then animating the models individually by importing both models into the Moon Animator. And make sure the gun and model are all fully unanchored (root part included) when you actually play-test the game, as that may be causing the animation issues in the game.