Plugin: Local File Importer (Import Images from your Computer!)

Since the plugin uses these rbxtemp:// IDs, does that mean re-uploading in the same order would cause those IDs to work for the new session

Yes.

2 Likes

just a slight typo for you to fix in the next update: image

2 Likes

I released an update less than 5 minutes ago that fixed a bug that prevented users from pressing x to close the widget, lol. I’ll fix this asap.

4 Likes

i know. i literally just installed the plugin and got a notification to update it, and thought “how can it be out of date already?” lol

1 Like

I’ve analysed the source code of that plugin, and it seems like you’re using a lot of Rōblox-provided stuff that aren’t documented on the public wiki (i.e. GetTemporaryId and the File class). How were you able to get a hold of them?

I was curious how the terrain heightmap importer plugin was able to import files, and I found that it used :GetBinaryContents() to read data to be used by Terrain:ImportHeightmap() and :GetTemporaryId() to display the heightmap as an image in the widget.

There’s also this reference:

3 Likes

I linked it in my post. By any chance, do you have editing access to the documentation? Something needs to be done to make it easier for other devs to figure it out. Both plugins (yours and the terrain-heightmap importer one) might just be setting off a trend.

Nope, I don’t have any special permisions. If you want documentation to be done on something, do a #platform-feedback:documentation-requests

1 Like

Do you think it’s possible to import images bigger than 1024x1024 in full HD?

1 Like

You can import really hi-res 4K images, but they won’t appear sharp because of Roblox’x texture filtering.

2 Likes

How about rendering four 1080p images separately (algorithmically, by modifying the binary stream)? How about SurfaceGuis?

This is gonna be the main use case for Racecar people lol. Rather than uploading, realizing something is wrong, and then changing just to re-upload.

1 Like

If this is possible- any plans on streamlining that process?

Edit: This plugin is fantastic regardless- many thanks.

Cant streamline this since you have to select the files yourself.

I saw you mentioned audio, but do you have plans to expand functionality to meshes?

2 Likes

Can’t. You can only use them if they’re .mesh files.

3 Likes

Aww, that’s kinda lame. A plugin like this would be really good for meshes, so it’s a shame that it can’t work. :frowning:

2 Likes

Quick suggestion with regards to the temporary folder you place in ServerStorage - maybe it could only be created when it’s needed, rather than at plugin startup as it is now? Could help keep things clean :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: specifically, this:

5 Likes

Will do.

Also, on a totally unrelated note: Local music files might never be implemented since you can’t play those in Play Solo, so they’re not useful as I had hoped ;_;

5 Likes

Got around to making it so that the folder only gets created the first time an image is actually loaded by the plugin.

6 Likes