Plugin: Local File Importer (Import Images from your Computer!)

I saw you mentioned audio, but do you have plans to expand functionality to meshes?

2 Likes

Can’t. You can only use them if they’re .mesh files.

3 Likes

Aww, that’s kinda lame. A plugin like this would be really good for meshes, so it’s a shame that it can’t work. :frowning:

2 Likes

Quick suggestion with regards to the temporary folder you place in ServerStorage - maybe it could only be created when it’s needed, rather than at plugin startup as it is now? Could help keep things clean :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: specifically, this:

5 Likes

Will do.

Also, on a totally unrelated note: Local music files might never be implemented since you can’t play those in Play Solo, so they’re not useful as I had hoped ;_;

5 Likes

Got around to making it so that the folder only gets created the first time an image is actually loaded by the plugin.

6 Likes

I believe you could do sounds too. Remember that the death sound is in your computer by default. I wonder when it is possible to upload sounds.

Oh wait, why couldn’t they be played if the death sound is available? It might’ve been the sound file format.

2 Likes

It sounds like it’s an internal restriction for temporary files in Studio. The sound still works in edit mode, so it’s not a file type issue.

An alternate to using this file API in Studio is to run an external program that copies files into the content directory of your Studio installation. This allows automated and persistent file previews and allows for previewing any file type, but it requires installing an actual program alongside Studio and it requires significantly more programming to implement.

4 Likes

Fabulous! This is really useful now that I don’t have to waste my time to upload images on Roblox.

2 Likes

Now i can finally do this…

11 Likes

Would it be ok if I fork your plugin? With a little modification, I think this has really good potential as a dedicated clothing previewer! I’ll be sure to link your post and the original plugin in the description.

1 Like

Go for it. I was actually working on a clothing previewer a while ago (loooong ago) but scrapped it.

1 Like

The imported files just become transparent and don’t render on Studio. How do I fix?

Yeah, this is probably due to a Roblox issue… If you had used the plugin previously and there were still instances in the game that have a temp id (e.g. rbxtemp://0, rbxtemp://1), then those images would fail to load until you load enough images (the temp id increments).

No practical fix for this. My advice is to delete the instances/change the references to the temp ids before saving and closing studio.

awesome plugin, use it all the time

any roadmap on importing audio? i’m tired of spending 20 robux every time i want to test volume levels of sfx

Oh wow this would be great for testing clothing on a mass scale, especially if you can set it onto a startercharacter and test how it looks in movement

Yes, I agree with this, I recently made a shirt and with the new 10 Robux deal I wanted to test it before putting it in.

If only I knew about this way sooner, maybe my inventory wouldn’t have been filled with images the wrong size etc

This is an amazing plugin.

1 Like

is it possible to support roblox beta feature custom material (MaterialService) i hate roblox moderating normal maps of textures for no reason and not being able to see the full result

and yes i am allowed to use them ( licensed as [CC0.])

MaterialService.StoneTiles02.NormalMap has invalid texture ‘rbxtemp://3’. TexturePack only supports rbxassetid.

Support for that isn’t possible.

1 Like