Possible Pathfinding Service bug

Although the category & topic won’t exactly match, I am in quite the predicament as Roblox now believes anyone below the ‘Regular’ role is incapable of submitting bugs! :frowning: If there is a better, accessible, category, please let me know, otherwise please bear with me

Pathfinding Service will occasionally generate a path that is unable to be followed by larger characters. This is due to a waypoint being too close to an object, preventing wider characters from reaching said waypoint

This ‘unfollowable path’ seems to only generate when there is an unobstructed path between the start and the finish

To clear up any questions, I am using PathfindingService:CreatePath and ComputeAsync with the proper Agent Parameters. This issue occurs 100% of the time.

The expected behavior is a path generated far enough from a wall where the character doesn’t try walk right up against it & get stuck. This behavior is achieved only when an obstacle is between the start and finish.

Expected behavior

Showing the expected distance from all obstacles

Showing an object is between the start and finish

tl;dr: Paths are only generated correctly if there is an obstacle between the start and finish, otherwise they create a straight path & ignore anything that may get in the way

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? If so, how would I go about fixing this in the meantime?

1 Like

try changing the AgentRadius(context: PathfindingService | Roblox Creator Documentation)

1 Like

This will not fix the issue, as I already have

3 Likes

It’s known that the agent radius has issues, not just when in line of sight. You can learn more about the known issues and the pathfinding module we are developing to fix them here: Polaris-Nav

1 Like

Was a workaround ever established for this? I’ve noticed the same thing happening. If it thinks it can go in a straight line, it ignores radius and crashes into a corner.

Absolutely atrocious, breaks pathfinding usefulness entirely.

1 Like

The only workaround I have found is if the character takes longer than it should to reach the target, teleport it there. This is nowhere near the desired effect and hurts the players experience, but keeps my system running at least.

The problem itself has not been addressed, and we have had no follow-up in over a year.

Please refer to this post from now on: New post

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.